Have a MacBook....do I really need a MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hello.there, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Evening all, before any one gets mad at me for posting a thread similar to another recent one of mine: wait! Changed circumstances.

I bought my MacBook about four months ago, upped the ram to 4gb. The intention was really only to use it for work (MS Office, email, internet, etc) while I was away but now I want to use it much more for photo/video stuff (eg Aperture, Final Cut Express) when I'm travelling (for work and holidays). (I have an iMac at home).

I haven't even loaded FCE on to the MacBook yet, so don't know yet how (or if) that will work out, but Aperture has been running fine.

Any way, I mentioned to my sister that I was kind of sorry I hadn't bought a MBP and she has offered to buy my MacBook from me - obviously for quite a bit less than I paid for it!

For my needs is a MBP unnecessary? Should I just tell her to buy a MacBook refurb (great deals at the moment)?

Basically, I just want to double-check - before I waste money - if you think my MacBook (with 4gb) is plenty for my needs, as listed above.

Thanks.

2. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

Well, if the MacBook you are currently using is doing fine, then don't worry about it. But if you aren't going to lose too much money on the sale, then I would personally recommend the Pro.

My wife has a 2.2 Ghz Macbook I got for her for Christmas, and while it is nice and would do everything I would need (i.e. run Microsoft Office 2008, Windows Vista, and Microsoft Office 2007) I much prefer the Pro model and therefore just got me the base model 2.2 Ghz. I know mine has 2 GB of RAM instead of 1 GB like hers (which I will probably upgrade one day) and has the additional video card, but the main reason I got the pro was because I wanted a bigger screen (15") and since I use my Macbook Pro for not just work and school but also with the business I own I wanted a laptop that looked business, and the Macbook just wasn't it. I'm very happy with my decision and love everything about the Macbook Pro, including the screen size, the slim design, the cool metal (instead of plastic) that surrounds it, etc.

While my wife still loves her Macbook I know that I personally will always want a Macbook Pro, or whatever replaces it in the future.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you're only using FCE it will run fine on a macbook

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Final Cut is just CPU and RAM dependent, so you should have no issues with the Macbook. I can run it on my Mac Mini with no issues (2GB RAM)