Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
What's the best and less problematical ? Set it up as a Brand New Ipod and then set up the settings and transfer over apps etc. Or do a restore from the backup of my 1st Gen 16gb touch?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Do you mean set up as new? You said restore as new,,

Don't know where my head was at. Yes, you click on the setup as new.

After doing all that, you'll then sync your apps over.

Edit: Forgot about game saves and app settings. If those are important to you, then you want to restore from a backup. I like to have the cleanest install possible, so I always setup as new.
VVVVVVVVVVVVV

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area
When you plug it in, you will be asked to setup as a new iPod, or to restore it from a backup. I always set it up as a new iPod, and then sync over my apps and media separately, because I have the impression that this is more likely to result in a "clean," faster iPod. I probably just have this in my head because of my experiences with Windows (and sometimes Mac OS X) PC's, where a clean install every 6 months is necessary.

Do whatever you want. If some apps you use have saved data that is not synced back to the cloud, you might want to restore from your backup. Most of the apps I rely on have built in syncing to the cloud, so I can just sign in, and the app downloads all of my settings or progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.