have a new mbp bought from ebay - transfer applecare?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steveOooo, Sep 18, 2009.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

i have contacted the buyer who keeps saying 'ill contact him and get it sorted - he will contact applecare about transfering the apple care into your name'

well, it still hasnt happened - i havent received notifcation that the AC has been transferred into my name - currently theres one year warranty left which runs out march 2010 - i was hoping to get AC of ebay and extend this - but this cant happen until (well, IF) i get conformation thats its been transfered.

What happens if my MBP breaks and i need a repair? can i make a genius appointment give them the serial number, then they look at it, fix it, and i collect no questions asked?

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I bought a Mac Mini off of eBay and it had warranty left. Well the HDD failed so I brought it into the Genius and they said "are you Bob", I said "nope, I bought this off of him" then the Genius entered my info. Bam! The Mac and it's AppleCare was registered to me.

That was 2007, but probably still works that way.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes, warranty follows the computer not the owner or seller. Try to AC in your name so you'll have no problems

4. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, perhaps ill do a dummy call to apple, - can someone hive me a simply pretend problem? ie a 'ok go ahead and reset the pram' just so i can see if i can transfer it into my name that way?

what is the best way to get it in my name?

5. AngryApple macrumors 6502

Why not just ask them to transfer it into your name? :confused:

6. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; Series60/5.0 NokiaN97-1/11.0.021; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1; en-us) AppleWebKit/525 (KHTML, like Gecko) BrowserNG/7.1.12344)

haha yes that wud be too obvious! Yes ill do that. What will they ask? How do i proove ive nt stolen it, that it was purchasedd off ebay?

7. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

what number shall i call to transfer applecare into my name? uk

8. molala macrumors 6502a

You can just register it to your name online, I think. Do you have an AppleID? If not, get one. Even if you do it by phone, it would help the Apple rep to just add the machine to your AppleID.

Go to...
    www.apple.com/uk/support

These are the Apple UK phone numbers
    (800) 039-1010
    0208 2181000

9. delude macrumors 6502

0844 209 0611

I have called this number several times to have my AC details registered, changed etc.

10. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cheers, I was too scared to try the code i bought cos apple might reject it - all sorted now, just did it online iike you said, cheers. !

It says 'Registration in progress' on the support page - does this mean there may be an issue with the fact that im the second user? also i got the applecare of ebay - the code appears to have worked as ive regs. the applecare.

11. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I bought an iBook way back when from an Apple store, as an Apple Refreshed Model, Was bought new and returned to the store.

They couldnt sell it as new, so I got it for 15% off I believe.

A couple of years later the batter was going, so I brought it in, the punched up the serial number, and said, "You have AppleCare on the iBook. The batter is covered." So AP goes with the machine and serial number not the owner.

12. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah all sorted now - its saying i have coverage till mar 2012, there sending the certificate of coverage thru the post.

NOt bad, £1,100 for a practically new mbp 17" with 2.5 years applecare! (oh and BT mighty mouse)