have a Powermac G5, looking to upgrade...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcp063, Oct 10, 2007.

1. dcp063 macrumors member

I have a dual 2ghz G5, 2 gb ram. I'm thinking about upgrading to something newer, maybe a macbook pro. I don't really need the increase in power, but i would like to have the mobility of a laptop...not for any particular reason, would just like take my mac with me if i ever go away for the weekend or something.

Think I should stick with the G5 or look into getting the mbp?

and if i do buy the mbp, how much could i sell my G5 tower for? (would keep the display to hook up to mbp)

i've been debating this for a while and i'm really close to pulling the trigger on the whole deal...thanks for the input

p.s. most of the work i do is in photoshop, illustrator, some flash, and some dabbling in 3d (maya).

2. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

I'd keep the G5. You'd get 1000USD for it at best (I'd think), and frankly, if you're not sure you need the mobility, you're paying a lot to get it. I went from a 1.8ghz dual G5 to a 2.16 Core Duo Macbook Pro, and for everyday use, I don't find it any faster...That said, the new MBP has a much better graphics card (and processor) than mine does, which makes the graphics card an upgrade in the MBP for you, whereas I went from a 6800GT to a x1600 Mobility...a definite downgrade.