Have a question about using Fruity Loops in Bootcamp for the Macbook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entraik, Jan 24, 2009.

1. entraik macrumors 6502a

I'm getting a new Macbook pro Unibody next week

2.53 ghz
    4 gig of ram
    320 gb 7200 rpm

basically, I want to install Fruity loops (fl studio), in windows via bootcamp to work on music. Since I have 4 gigs of ram, which version of windows would be best for installation. Should I go for Vista Home Premium 64 bit? Is that compatible with the macbook pro?

Also, which external firewire soundcard would be best for use under the macbook pro?

2. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

Just to warn you, I've had problems doing audio stuff in Windows XP 32-bit under Bootcamp on my MBP. Granted, it's not a unibody, so it might be different on the new hardware, but audio running through my M-Audio Firewire 410 would always skip unless I turned off my wireless card.

How much are you looking to spend on an interface? How many inputs/outputs do you need?

3. entraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm just looking for something to monitor my music.. trs 1/4 headphones jack + studio monitor outputs is all I really need. Not really looking for any extra inputs/outputs.

4. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

If you didn't have to use Windows, the highest quality interface for that kind of usage would be the Apogee Duet, but drivers only exist for OS X.

Most other Firewire interfaces seem to have an abundance of I/O. (and the A/D D/A converters on that Duet are absolutely fantastic)

If you absolutely need the interface to be Firewire, check into the M-Audio Firewire Solo or 410/610 models for a bit more connectivity.

In any case, since you need OS X and Windows compatibility, look at stuff by the likes of MOTU, RME and M-Audio. All three companies make USB interfaces with lower amounts of I/O which seems to be all you need.

BTW, the prices you see on the M-Audio website have basically nothing to do with what you actually pay online or in a store.

I used to be a hardcore Fruity Loops user, but then I got into Logic and much prefer it. Check it out if you can.

5. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Your getting a mac- time to put on the big boy pants and get Logic:D- Reason is nice supplement as well

6. Ploki macrumors 68000

Echo Audio Indigo i/o.
    im getting one.
    it has the same converters as audiofire 8/gina 3g and i can tell you from personal experience they are mighty fine.

and as previous poster said, ditch FL :)

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i used fruityloops under parallels, seems to work fine even on my older machine.. why dont you try a VM?

8. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

It depends on how many soft-synths/effects he's running.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

true, truth be told i have no idea what im doing in fruity loops anyway. sure i can make basic songs, but thats mainly for drum ideas to show my band and all those kinds of things. i daresay your work would be MUCH more demanding then mine hahaha.

10. jokerupmysleeve macrumors newbie

help

hey did u install fl studio on your macbook pro vai bootcamp?

because i have and the audio skips and sounds all weird, does anyone know how to fix this?

11. joseph87 macrumors member

joseph87

Or ableton live :D
    I also used FL Studio for about 4 years before switching to live on mac.

12. jokerupmysleeve macrumors newbie

fruity loops in bootcamp

hey teej guy
    did you fix thr problems you had in windows xp because i have fruity loops in windows xp bootcamp on my macbook pro but the audio is messed up?
    do you know if i can fix this?
    help is much apreicated

13. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

All I know on the matter is in that original post. The audio would skip consistently unless I turned off the wireless card in Windows. If you're having any problems with audio in Windows XP on a MacBook, start there, switch off the wireless.