Have a question for anyone with AT&T and a Next Plan about upgrading

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JUCJ85, Aug 11, 2016.

1. JUCJ85 macrumors regular

JUCJ85

So I want to upgrade from my 6S+ 128GB to the rumored 7+ 256GB, but I'm on my 11th month of 12 payments with AT&T in september, is there a way to pay the 12th Installment and be upgrade eligible when the new iPhone 7+ releases/pre-orders open? Or do I have to wait the extra month?

-Jason

2. Fritz5484 macrumors newbie

Fritz5484

With ATT Next, at any time after the second installment payment, you can make a stand-alone, device-only plan payment equal to one month, or equal to all remaining months. IMHO, unless there are other compelling reasons to do so, 'handing-in' a mint, 12-month *new* iPhone 6S, is just leaving money on the table.

3. JUCJ85 thread starter macrumors regular

JUCJ85

I'm only upgrading if they make the 256GB phone, I have no intention of upgrading without that. Just need more space, I have a lot on my current 6S+, I don't mind trading in a 12 month old 6S+ for the new 7+, this would be the last phone I buy for several years.

4. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Why not check with AT&T?

5. JUCJ85 thread starter macrumors regular

JUCJ85

I plan on it, but I wanted to see if anyone here has done it before, I find it a pain to try and get ahold of AT&T, they have long wait periods. You could call me lazy if you want lol, just thought this would be a good place, sometimes I get more than one answer from certain companies I'm with service wise.

6. HEK, Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016

HEK Suspended

HEK

Just look up your plan on AT&T app. You will see the upgrade option for your phone with two choices. First choice shows minimum amount you need to pay at this moment in order to upgrade. Option two, shows full payoff amount to own phone. These choices change after each payment.

I checked last night, on Next, you can upgrade at any point. One thing to note is not to pay the 13th payment and then upgrade as you just paid an extra payment and got nothing for it.

When you upgrade, you will pay any remaining installments along with total tax for new phone. Payment for old phone will stop, and payments for new phone will start. It can't get much simpler. this is what happened last year when I went from 6 Plus to 6s Plus.

7. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

what i do is i pay my phone until its upgrade eligible. like how now my iPhone 6s is, right now i owe on my 6S PLUS 64GB like 328 once i get the 7 i sell my old phone on swappa and i use the money to pay off the phone and have money left over for other stuff. at&T bills me the amount of the phone on my next billing statement.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 11, 2016 ---
    also if you go under billing and next detail it will let you pay the amount needed to upgrade or to pay off the phone

for example on my wifes line it shows this Screen Shot 2016-08-11 at 2.25.43 PM.png

8. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Yes, you just have to pay the balance in order to upgrade. I just chatted with AT&T 2 days ago about this very issue.

I am on the NEXT plan that allows me to upgrade each year. So that equates to 50% of the phone is paid and I am eligible. So if at any time I want to upgrade....just pay to the 50% mark and you become eligible.

In my case.....I've had my S7 Edge for 1 month and already not sure ill keep it. Some stuff is driving me NUTS. So may go back to iPhone. Yes....a HUGE waste of money to pay the $300+ just to get out of the Android and back to iPhone....but it's worth it. I need a phone that is reliable and the damn battery doesn't die in 7 HOURS!!!!

9. JUCJ85 thread starter macrumors regular

JUCJ85

Thank you very much, all I needed to know, I contacted AT*T also, and have to pay 2 payments apparently.

-Jason
    --- Post Merged, Aug 15, 2016 ---
    Here's one more silly questions since I haven't been following the design outlook of the phone, I do know no headphone jack(no biggie), and I think no mute switch, but do people think the 7+ will have the volume in the same position, so 6S+ Cases will fit it, or will I have to buy a new case, not an issue, since the one I got was only $30 or $40 when I bought the 6S+.

Thanks again to everyone.

10. Alexrat1996 Suspended

Sir why not trade in the iPhone 6s Plus back to AT&T and credit for it for the 7 plus

11. marty1980 macrumors 6502

You have to wait for the bill for our 12th month to be paid. Once you've paid that bill, you will be eligible for the upgrade.

Often AT&T will allow early upgrades. However, it's not a guaranteed option. So if you want to order the iPhone 7 at launch and you haven't paid your 12th month on your current phone, then you'll have to speak with a representative to see what options you have. You may have to wait or they may have a way for you to pay that 12th month to help make you eligible.

12. Rob198612 macrumors 6502

i know this sucks but the case will not fit the iPhone 7/plus/pro because of the camera placement!

13. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

All you have to do is pay the 12 payments worth....so if that means paying for 12 months or paying the 12 months worth (equivalent to 50% of the phone) you may upgrade. I have only had my Android for 1 month and I will pay the money to be able to upgrade to the iPhone 7 when it comes out.

14. JUCJ85 thread starter macrumors regular

JUCJ85

Damn, I didn't know the big difference the second camera would take up.

Well not a big deal, just buy a case when I preorder it. Would you recommend a hard case, to prevent bending, or go with a cheap case?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2016 ---
    Yes I was told I had to pay 2 payments to be eligible for the new iPhone, they have the Pay to Upgrade option, just need to chat with their support team, and they would do it for me when the time comes.

15. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Not quite. AT&T Next 12 payment plan is divided into 20 installments. That means you have to pay off 60% of device cost before you can upgrade with trade-in. That's an effective trade-in value of 40% regardless of device model.

16. appygirl82 macrumors 6502a

appygirl82

Correct, you just have to pay 50% of the device in order to upgrade. I plan to get out of the NExt program anyway....I am going to go back to the Apple Upgrade Program :)

17. HEK Suspended

HEK

You realize half of 20 is 10. Paying 12 payments, one year is 60%. Not 50%