General Have about 12 gb of "Other"?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cchunk, Mar 24, 2014.

1. cchunk macrumors 6502

So i have a 32 gb ipad air thats of course jailbroken. im syncing it up to itunes and i have about 6.7 gb free. however the problem is that the "other" bar is about half of the memory. anyone know what this could be?

I dont download movies via iFile or anything. I dont have too many tweaks and the apps i have on my ipad only take about 5 gb. Anyone know how i can see whats eating my storage up?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

do you transfer files onto your ipad? do you use any torrent-like tweaks? how about downloading files from safari?

3. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

umm yeah but not 10 gbs worth. at most 1-2 gb. rarely download safari stuff.

4. Dave Felix macrumors 6502a

Dave Felix

I have a 16GB iPhone and it uses about 2GB of other. Its kind of annoying. I think in other threads, users said you might have to restore and set up as new. How inconvenient :(

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Other is files such as your jailbreak files,

Browser cache
    Mail cache
    Mail messages
    Mail attachments
    Safari's Reading List
    iTunes Backups
    Crud resulting from jailbreaking your iDevice
    Game data
    Saved data files
    Call history
    Notes
    Media
    Voice memos.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-5142

I deleted all my old entries in my calendar which freed up a lot of space too.

6. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

any place in ifile that i can go to that would allow me to delete unnecessary files?

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Be wary of what you do with iFile as a mistake can possibly cause major headaches ,which the worst case scenario could be a lost jailbreak.

If you work your way through the list above you should find some space created.

Also using iCleaner pro can help.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Also, it you do any kind of streaming from the cloud, music and videos are stored in a cache file and that takes up space in other as well, a lot of space.

9. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah im aware thats why i havent gone into it myself. I used icleaner pro and Phonecleaner which freed up maybe 2 gb. still have about 14 gb of other :[

10. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Also, iTunes is not very accurate at all in reporting that space as other.

I connected to one Mac and it said my air had 2GB of other and 2.5GB free space. The other computer showed 588MB other and a different amount of free space. I connected back to the other computer and it showed a different amount. I selected to sync a 3.5GB movie and it synced with no problems leaving 2.5GB free space.

My Air showed a different amount then what both computers showed as free space, yet it synced the movie even though it showed not enough space as well.

iTunes and iOS has some major issues.

11. Cointreau macrumors member

I seem to recall a lot of "Other" space being taken up by backups of my text messages. Every picture you send, every message you send, all of that gets saved on the iPhone somewhere. At least it did last I cleaned up my iPhone about 6 months ago.

Be careful what messages you delete though, you may inadvertently get rid of something you need later. That happened to me.

Of course, this information may be outdated, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But it freed up almost 5 GB worth of space when I cleaned it up.

12. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

but its on my ipad which i dont use for texting. I was able to free up maybe 2 gb but thats all. I just ran iLexrat on my 5s to clean things up so i might just do the same for my ipad. thanks!

13. tvotony macrumors regular

Sometimes it's just small things I use moviebox and recently put everything on my computer and needed to delete what I downloaded and I had 20gigs of ther but once I deleted the old movies it went down to 4gigs (64gig 5s)