Have all secret features in Leopard been revealed? Seamless windows applications run?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iansilv, Oct 13, 2007.

1. iansilv macrumors 65816

Have all of the secret features in Leopard been revealed? Is there any hope for parallels integration to the point of seamlessly running windows apps without it, or with it running transparently in the background?

I am a pc user who will be buying his first mac when leopard comes out. Man oh man I desperately want to ditch windows, but I need my security blanket. :(

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I don't think this will happen, partly because it would cause hassle and Apple likes to create software which doesn't make massive queues in their customer support lines...in case you don't know, an attempt at this is Codeweavers...

Are there any apps you're worried wont have a Mac equivalent?

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

you will never see that kind of integration of windows in osx. and frankly im glad, apple wants to boost mac dev not give them a lazy excuse not to bother for the sake of a few that want windows as well as osx. Windows without windows would be even worse, opening up the mac to all sorts of trouble. Keep mac mac i say. (posted from IE!.. . . . . i jest)

5. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Office 2007. I like it, I use it for work, I want to convert over to ical, mail, etc. but I still need to know that office 2007 will run. I am not sure the mac version will be as good- microsoft keeps delaying it and I think they will release a deliberately buggy product, being the sly jerks that they are.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All I would like is the return of fast OS switching. Send OSX or Windows to sleep and have a choice of which partition to reawaken. This has got to be easier than full integration.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Microsoft promises to have Office 2008 out in January 2008. Historically, the Mac version of Microsoft applications have been more compatible with older versions than the Windows versions. Currently Office 2004 can open any Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file. No version of Office:win can make the same claim. Microsoft, however, has never produced Access and no longer produces Outlook for the Mac. Also, the opensource community does an excellent job of reverse-engineering Microsoft proprietary formats. You can now open Office 2007 files in OpenOffice/NeoOffice.

However, you may be the user who really needs to assess what he is looking for in a computer and computer applications. The Office 2007 users whose opinions I respect hate the suite. Office 2008 is supposed to have a significantly different UI than Office 2007, though the file formats are supposed to be the same (except for no VBA). If you like Office 2007, then maybe Office 2008 and the Mac are not for you.

8. SupadudeX macrumors member

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

Or maybe check out iWork 08. It will open Office 07 files, (and maybe save to them) and is much, much cheaper than Office 08 is going to be.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

In fact you can check out previews of the new interface of their website...I kinda like it, but I'll be sticking with Pages and NeoOffice...

11. iansilv thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the responses guys. It is looking like i can make the switch. My ultimate goal will be to use all Macintosh native apps, so I think the office 07think will be temporary. But as long as I have m safety net, I will be ok.

Truth is, that 64 bit demo from WWDC just got me. I decided then my next computer would be a mac.

12. sellitman macrumors regular

sellitman

I was the same way. I actually bought a XP program and then after running my new iMac for 2 weeks desided that I wasn't going to install Windows or any other Gates product on my virgin Mac. I use Pages and Neo-Office and have never looked back.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Has the status changed on OpenXML files? I thought that only ones created by Word 2007 (but not Excel or PPT 2007) were amenable to the translator?

Anyways, I for one think everybody should be drawing a hard line in refusing to accept OpenXML files from anyone.

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I suppose I should have said "any Word, Excel, or PowerPoint file through Office 2003." The current version of Microsoft's Open Office XML Converter handles only Word 2007 files. Long story short, Office 2007 has introduced major new compatibility issues. Owing to the fact that Office 2007 uses VBA and Office 2008 will not, those compatibility issues will not be resolved anytime soon for a significant fraction of Office users. Having said that, there are many old compatibility issues, particularly among different versions of Office:win.

15. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

There's too much of a wide range compatibility to deal with to have windows integration.