Have an aTV3, do I need a aTV4?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MrMister111, Dec 14, 2015.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

I have an aTV3 upstairs on bedroom TV. I won't probably use games etc on a new aTV4, but asking what would I use if got one.

I have a NAS that has a Plex server on, and know that the aTV4 has a Plex app, so maybe use that, but can't you get a Plex app for iPhone to airplay? Also I'm sure there must be an app to start a movie on my iPhone from the NAS and airplay is there?

I use Netflix and Amazon video, so this would be the same as my current aTV3.

So basically what I'm asking is, is there a Plex app, or other app that can stream from my NAS to my iPhone and then airplay? And/or what else over the above would I use the new aTV4 for.

thanks

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

There currently is an official Plex app in the App Store for the ATV4.

Do you need the ATV4? That's a question only really you can answer. Like you, I had the ATV3 and was completely okay with it. However, I still considered buying the ATV4 until my girlfriend came home one day and surprised me with it. We use the ATV3 in the bedroom and have the ATV4 in the living room.

If you have the money, I don't see a reason not to get the ATV4. But again, you ATV3 will still do the same thing it's currently doing for you now. The ATV4 has a lot of promise with the designated App Store.

3. Rigby macrumors 601

What are you currently using to watch Amazon Video? Perhaps it has Plex already?

If you are only looking for Plex, there are much less expensive options than the ATV4 ...

4. d21mike, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015

d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

The App Store for the ATV 4 is a game changer for some. I have a lot of TV's so was planning to only replace 1/2 of them with the ATV 4. We are now all in on ATV 4. My reasons would not necessary be good for others so you really need to decide for yourself. But for me it was the Channels Live TV App that helped me a lot. That matched to the HDHomeRun allowed me to drop all of my STB's at a savings of $60+ per month. But again, that is just my setup so would not be the case for everyone. The final straw was when my wife was in one of the guest rooms with out granddaughter trying to use the ATV 3 to watch a show (my granddaughter wanted to see) that she could only get on the ATV 4 and she already got very comfortable with the new remote.

5. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

6. Flat Six macrumors newbie

There is a Plex app for your iphone you can use. My girlfriend is using this in her appartment to log in on my Plex server and streams the movies and tv-shows I have on this server through airplay to her Apple TV 3th gen.

7. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Do you need a paid subscription to Plex for that or is the free version enough?

8. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

In my opinion it's a worthwhile upgrade. I don't want it to game at all either so that wasn't a deciding factor for me.
    It was the release of the Plex app that pursuaded me to upgrade, it runs so smoothly and reliably and it's basically now the TV system I've been trying to create using HTPCs for years, only a lot simpler, easier and at a fraction of the cost!

9. BuddyRich macrumors member

You can use PlexConnect as a client for ATV3. Find it works fairly well. Even Live OTA TV with HDHomerun channel in Plex.

10. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

It's not really the same as having an official application for it, especially for a less tech-savvy user. That's certainly a decent work around for someone who doesn't want to upgrade their ATV though.

11. MrMister111, Dec 16, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015

MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Using my iPhone to Airplay to my aTV3.

I can afford or ask santa for one it's just if it's necessary for me, for my uses. If airplay of stuff from my NAS via my iPhone works that would be good enough for that bit.

Netflix works, would like a native Amazon video app on but probably never happen, but airplay works.

12. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well think the big fella's bringing one tomorrow, think I'll set it up in main living room for the apps.

Any apps I should download straight away? Apart from Netflix and Amazon video?

13. Robnsn2015 macrumors regular

14. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

My mistake, not at moment, apparently coming!

15. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I have an ATV3 that I move from the bedroom to the living room occasionally. My wife and I got some money from her grandparents for Christmas. In addition to some stuff for our new baby, we decided to get a second ATV. In trying to decide between the 4 and a second 3 it seemed logical to go ahead and get the newest version. Finding it for $99 helped me decide. :)

I just set it up about an hour ago, but it seems really nice so far. I like the new remote and it seems a little quicker than the 3, but this may be in my head. :)

16. MrMister111 thread starter macrumors 68000

Wow $99, I wish it was £129 here, equivalent to about $190.....

17. Tech198 macrumors G4

apps mainly. and probably siri if u get get used to the touchpad remote..

I tried it one day, but the more hates my hands... Apart from that there were other issues i didn't like about the 4th gen, mainly the way Apple implemented VoiceOver, its all to easy to enable disable it via a well-known button u use all the time.

So i stuck my my 3rd gen and returned the newer one.

u can use PlexConnect with Apple TV 3, i've done it before.

Santas gonna have his work cut out with this one :D