Have an idea for app ... don't know where to start??

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by masti13harsh, Jun 26, 2012.

1. masti13harsh macrumors member

I have been programming in c++ for last 3 years at school .. know the basic pop concepts and have a little knowledge in core java.

I have an idea of a great app bit don't know where to start.

Have watched 2 episodes of stanford iPhone development but i think the instructor was going to fast and lost my way

Please suggest me where to start??:confused::confused:

2. 1458279 Suspended

You might want to sign up for Apple's dev account. With that you get full access to the WWDC. The 2012 is out now and if you watch the Modern Object C and other "developer tools" Videos, you'll get a lot of insight into what the tools are and what they do.

The reason for suggesting this is that C++ is gaining more and more support by the compiler.

The usual path has been learn ObjC, Xcode, iOS, APIs, and start writing sample code and read books.

You can dig right into the dev account and watch the WWDC and install Xcode, buy a few books and jump right in. Big Nerd Ranch has a very good book on ObjC.

You might want to watch the WWDC2012 1st because things are changing. ARC is pretty much standard now, so you can skip over the older memory retain/release that many books cover. ARC is just one example of the changes, so getting a new book / tutorial can be important.

It might seem confusing at 1st, books cover Reference Counting, then you learn it's now automatic(ARC) so you don't have to learn it...

Taking some time to find where things stand, can save you a bunch of time learning things that are being replaced.

Dev accounts cost $99/yr so it's about the cost of a lunch each month.

Check the dates of books/blogs/tutorials, they tend to get out dated quick.

3. masti13harsh thread starter macrumors member

thanx but i just read developing your first ios app from the freely available at the apple's developer site and i am just not getting comfortable with

so as you suggest i would start with the obj c and then refer apple developer site

4. utahman130 macrumors 6502a

utahman130

5. 1458279 Suspended

Well, before you begin, you might want to see if you can use C++ for what you want. I'm actually surprised at the support the compiler has for C++.

IMO, ObjC takes a bit to get a handle on.

6. Nick johnson macrumors newbie

"IPhone Application Development For Dummies"

Read out this, it should help you....

7. masti13harsh thread starter macrumors member

Just read the first chapter of iphone development the big nerd ranch...
    found the book very easy to understand...
    hopefully will be able to develop my app...
    thanx all for ur help..
    ::rolleyes: