Have an iPhone 5, advice on getting a 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KoolAid-Drink, Dec 17, 2013.

1. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

So I got my iPhone 5 this January (with AT&T), and I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse. I'm wishing I could've held out until the 5s (I had a 4 prior to the 5), because the Touch ID, 64-bit A7 processor, and better camera is really appealing to me. I have this psychological view that the 5 is now antiquated compared to the 5s. This may be because Apple doesn't sell the 5 any longer; rather, the 5s/5c/4s. If Apple continued to sell the 5, then I may have more faith in the 5, but as it stands... I'm lulled by Apple's marketing for the 5s, and am tempted to get it for Christmas.

If I get the 5s, I'd probably just pay for it full price so I could upgrade to the iPhone 6 (if that's what it's called), and sell my current 5 on Glyde (valued around $280), have my parents pitch in for Christmas around $300, that way, I'd pay only maybe $150 out of pocket (and do AppleCare/transfer the unused value - I have to call AppleCare+ and check).

The question is: do you think it's truly worth it? For those who did the upgrade/switch from the 5 to 5s, was it well worth it; were the differences such as battery life and speed that significant? Or would I be better off just waiting until the next iPhone, presumably the 6? Am I just being lulled by Apple's marketing and the Touch ID feature? Tell me :)

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

Personally, no- not really worth it.
    But once you get the Apple itch to upgrade, sometimes sound logic and reasoning is replaced with emotion and desire.

It's what happened with me on the new iPads and if it happens to you, enjoy your upgrade without looking back!

3. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

if you had an upgrade available to you now, i'd say maybe. but given that you'd have to pay full price and that you already have a 5, i'd say hang on a little while longer and wait for the six. by september you'll have a 6 regardless; by waiting you can have a few extra dollars in your pocket.

4. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

The problem with that is, I upgraded this January, so I wouldn't be eligible until January 2015 to upgrade again. AT&T no longer provides a full discount for eligibility 2-3 months before the 24 month period ends :(

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

If you have AT&T unlock your iPhone 5 before selling it then you might be able to get closer to $400 for it.

6. Jbenn425 macrumors regular

So the 5 feels antiquated to you but the 4S doesn't only because they're still selling it? Despite the fact that it's much old technology than the 5?

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

If you have the $, get it. You will like it. Camera and touch ID are great.

8. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

moldy lunchbox

I got my iPhone 5 on New Year's Day 2013, it was great but slow mo on the 5s is what really got me tbh. I make a lot of skate videos so I really was fascinated with it. So I put it on Craigslist just to see what offers I'd get. Next day someone wanted it and I had a 5s that night, the difference isn't too much but I do like the camera and speed.

If you do get a 5s I recommend getting a different color, that way it doesn't feel more like your iPhone 5.

9. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

I guess it's a psychological thing. The 5 is no longer being sold - it was only sold for a year, then was discontinued immediately. That puts a message in my head (that logic says is wrong) that the 5 wasn't "good enough" for Apple, and also wasn't good enough to continue being sold. Kind of similar to the iPad 3, and we all know how many people felt angry/ripped off. The iPhone 5 is also the first phone with Apple to fall victim of this - the 3G, 3Gs, 4, and 4s were all sold for 2 (or 3) years, unlike the 5 being only one year.

That's just it. I don't exactly have a boatload of money. Combined with the $300ish I can get for the 5, and my parents' $300 contribution, I'd still be out $150+ and would have to see about AppleCare being transferred. But, I really want Touch ID and the faster processor :( decisions, decisions.

10. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

If you don't have the money spare then no, wait for the 6, it might even have a bigger screen! I regret the 5S I should of held out and got the Note 3.

11. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

IMAO...no, it's not worth it. Besides the camera, touch ID feature, and the very quick A7, it's not much of an upgrade from the 5.

Pretty much people that upgrade get it to say "HEY LOOKIEEE I GOTTA IPHONE 5S"

12. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I upgraded, but only because we switched carriers. I really don't notice much of a difference (sans the fingerprint scanner, which really isn't that exciting after the first few days) between my old 5 and the 5s.

I usually don't mind splurging on my phone because it's something I use multiple times every single day. That said, I think in this case I'd rather take that $300 and use it for something else. :apple:

13. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

I've been rocking the iPhone 4 since Jan 2011. It works great and I'm not going to upgrade until it no longer runs the current version of iOS. There are more things you can do with the money that you would waste upgrading your hardware every year

14. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

True, it's not that much better, but it has a couple better features that are fun. The only reason I upgraded was because best buy gave me $300 on the spot for my iPhone 5 and I got the 5s, since I had an upgrade available. I have so many phones on my plan now that I essentially upgrade every year with the subsidized price.

15. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

Would you say the 5s is noticeably better in performance and battery life compared to the 5?

16. iPodJedi macrumors 6502a

iPodJedi

I would wait for the six...if your gonna cancel the plan then do it when u won't regret it again...the six is better than 5s and isn't to far down the road.

17. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

18. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I bought a 5S for my husband's birthday, and he encouraged me to use it for a couple of weeks before he could (long story) to make sure it was OK. I was thinking of getting myself one as well, but was completely underwhelmed by Touch ID, which does not work well at all for me. I then decided to get a 5 instead, and I can't tell any difference in anything between the two (and I'm a gadget geek from way back). They really aren't that different, despite what the marketing hype would like you to believe.

Hold out until the 6 arrives. Take a cold shower and fixate upon some other shiny gadget that will actually make a difference in your life.

19. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Performance: not noticeably better to me, but I don't really play games
    Features: a few neat new features that I think make it worthwhile (touch ID, better camera, slomo, motion sensor).
    Battery: noticeably better, but not phenomenal

20. KoolAid-Drink thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks! I think I'll just grudgingly hold off :)

I do appreciate all your feedback!