Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I have a 160GB iPod classic, largely because of my music being in Apple Lossless format. I'm currently trying to decide if an iPod touch would be worth my while. If I got one, I'd definitely use Safari on the go to surf the web... but I'm not so sure if I'd store any music or photos on it. Therefore, I think the 8GB touch might suit my needs better, especially if it primarily gets used as a disk.

What do you guys think?

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have a 160GB iPod classic, largely because of my music being in Apple Lossless format. I'm currently trying to decide if an iPod touch would be worth my while. If I got one, I'd definitely use Safari on the go to surf the web... but I'm not so sure if I'd store any music or photos on it. Therefore, I think the 8GB touch might suit my needs better, especially if it primarily gets used as a disk.

What do you guys think?

My understanding is the iPhone and the Touch don't have a "disk mode"...

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
IMHO the Classic and Nano are much better iPods than the iPhone or Touch. If you are wanting the extra features or want it for video, then go ahead. But as a music player the iPhone and touch are *NOT* the best iPods ever (despite what SJ says). I have an iPhone and am also considering a classic or nano (or even shuffle) because of the physical buttons. A touch screen that you have to keep turning on whenever you want to do anything but change volume is not the best i/f for this kind of thing.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
My understanding is the iPhone and the Touch don't have a "disk mode"...
You're right... according to this article, anyway. Oh well... I'm not particularly interested in "Jailbreaking" the iPod touch, so the question remains:

Considering that I'm on the go quite often, and usually have Wi-Fi access (from my university or other places I go), would an iPod touch benefit me? I'd probably need to either convert my tunes to 128 kbps AAC (which I'd rather not do) or make do with only a partial selection on my Touch... in which case I'd want a 16 GB model. I have one other question: Would the iPod touch skip less than my current Classic does? My Classic doesn't skip very often, but when it does, it's quite noticeable.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I've never had my iPhone skip, and it should be the same with a Touch as a result of the flash technology. And the menu selections will be much faster too as a result of the flash.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've never had my iPhone skip, and it should be the same with a Touch as a result of the flash technology. And the menu selections will be much faster too as a result of the flash.
Thank you. I conclude that I just need to do some more research, and ask some questions at the Apple Store before I buy...:)

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've got an 80GB classic and 16GB touch and find they complement each other really well: I've got the touch for surfing, etc and listening to favourite albums and the odd movie. I keep my entire music collection on my classic which I use mainly around the house and in the car

oceanmonster

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2007
IMHO the Classic and Nano are much better iPods than the iPhone or Touch. If you are wanting the extra features or want it for video, then go ahead. But as a music player the iPhone and touch are *NOT* the best iPods ever (despite what SJ says). I have an iPhone and am also considering a classic or nano (or even shuffle) because of the physical buttons. A touch screen that you have to keep turning on whenever you want to do anything but change volume is not the best i/f for this kind of thing.

The lack of a physical play pause button is a disadvantage, but i hear that apple is working on support for the ipod radio remote. This will be very useful if they do.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
The lack of a physical play pause button is a disadvantage, but i hear that apple is working on support for the ipod radio remote. This will be very useful if they do.
For me it is the lack of play pause, ff/next, and rw/previous that I really miss. I usually listen to my music in shuffle mode and sometimes to skip to the next song or go back to a previous song.

lakerchick4life

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2007
I was thinking about getting an ITouch as well. I currently have the Ipod Video 30 gig..the ITouch looks great, but I wish it was larger in size..even though I have only used 4 gig out of the 30 I know that eventually they will come out with a 30 and then I would have to exchange the 16 to get the 30..The hacking makes me want to get one, now that it has been hacked..but is it really worth getting..and when might a 30 gig become available..if not for another year I mind as well get an ITouch now and in a year get the new one

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I have a 4Gig iPhone which I love and use as a phone and PDA, but I'm used to a 60Gig iPod (which I just filled over the weekend). I hate having to figure out which 4Gigs of stuff to put on it. I'd have that problem with anything less than a 60Gig...

I wish they would've had a 160Gig hard drive based Touch... :(

Mystikal

macrumors 68020
Oct 4, 2007
Irvine, CA
I have a 4Gig iPhone which I love and use as a phone and PDA, but I'm used to a 60Gig iPod (which I just filled over the weekend). I hate having to figure out which 4Gigs of stuff to put on it. I'd have that problem with anything less than a 60Gig...

I wish they would've had a 160Gig hard drive based Touch... :(

God imagine the price on that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.