Have any existing iPhoners upgraded at an O2 store today?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Red Bull, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Red Bull macrumors member

Red Bull

Apologies if there's a similar thread kicking around, but after all the carry on and O2 finally saying existing iPhone customers could upgrade instore this morning, has anybody actually managed it?

About ten of us have just been turned away from the O2 store in Darlington because we're existing customers and they're "having technical difficulties".

2. bustermac macrumors newbie

3. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

systems down. Standing in the o2 store.
    What a joke !!!!!!

4. Red Bull thread starter macrumors member

Red Bull

Let us know when (if?) you get anywhere Gaz. I might have a walk back down to my local.

Ta.

5. nobblers macrumors newbie

Meltdown

Been sat in CPW for almost an hour. Was 3rd in queue. Still waiting for credit checks to go through. The system is in meltdown...

6. Mitch1984 macrumors 6502

Mitch1984

I managed to upgrade. I'm in the o2 store with my 1st gen & 2nd gen one.

7. eviltobz macrumors member

the store on kings road in chelsea isn't even open and has about 50 people queuing down the road so i didn't even bother trying. and i need to upgrade more than everyone else cos i'm paying for my iphone plan but my handset got nicked so i'm iphoneless and by the looks of things probably will be for another few weeks :(

8. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

just got mine. Happy at last

9. Kerching macrumors member

Yup - was second in line at Notting Hill Gate O2.

Took 1 hour 10 mins to do - the O2 system melted down as it couldn't cope with all the stores in the country trying to log on.

NHG had 80 phones in total - around 60 were 16Gb

I did hear that the the Oxford Street Branch did have around 300 phones.

It would seem that phones are going to the stores that did the most iPhone business on the 1st gen phone. So if you like in the wop-wops and no one but you got an iPhone from your local store then they will only have a few phones.

10. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

yeah I upgraded. The system was down for me at about half 9 in an o2 store so they just let me have it anyway. They took contract details and are processing later.

They were also having problems with the upgrade barcode not working.

11. Red Bull thread starter macrumors member

Red Bull

Well I've finally been upgraded after wandering back to the store at 9.30am and staying there til 10:15am. They're doing all the paperwork by hand though, as the computers are still down for upgrading.

12. Word Warrior macrumors member

Am I just getting old? Don't answer that!

I can't get my head round this "I must have it now so I'll queue and get frustrated when I can't have it" mentality. In only a few more days the furore will have died down and the stock levels will catch up, the systems won't crash and you ban walk into O2 without the hassle and sweat of getting agitated.

I bought my iphone in February so in no hurry to upgrade but from walking in and purchasing two iphones took no longer than 20 mins and the guy who served me was as cool as a cucumber and helpful. I guess this morning that O2 sales people will be a little frazzled.

Now listen people. LIFE'S JUST TOO SHORT, GET OVER IT!

What is frustrating is the delay in software 2.0 no show yet but we can download apps and the off on off mobile me system, but that's life I guess.

Think I'll wait for iPhone 3Gmk2 or whatever it'll be called.

13. chrissmash macrumors regular

I got the 16GB iPhone in black at 02 store, they only had 5 16GB and 10 further 8GB phones in coleraine.

O2 dont have a clue im telling ya!

14. LostLogik macrumors 6502a

Local O2 store was shambles. 20 people Q'ing, store manager stuck his head out at 8.00 to say opening at 9.00, despite O2 website saying 8.02. He refused to say how many numbers of 8/16s he had. When eventually he opened the first two custs wanted upgrades. Trouble was, the system was down so they had to leave empty handed, though were told to come back later as the paperwork had already been started and their iPhones were therefore reserved. I was 3rd in line, got my 16 (new cust) but they couldn't activate it and didn't do a credit check. I just filled in forms, paid and walked out with my phone. Told they'd text me when it was active. As I was leaving they were telling everybody they couldn't do upgrades as the web and phone lines were down. Think I managed to leave before the riots started. It was starting to get ugly.

15. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Good for you. Thanks for the advice.

16. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

upgraded to the 16GB today.

Last night I visited the birmingham bullring O2 store and told me they had about 20 16GB's so make sure I get there early. Got there this morning about 7.10 and joined a line of about 15. By the time the store was open at 8am there was about 40-50 in the queue. I was the lucky one of about 10 people who got the 16gb. So Many people had to walk away when there were no 16gb left. Queue was nearly empty! First person left the store about 9am! I didnt leave with my phone until about 9.40!! But considering the systems went down they handled it pretty well. Plus I was inside the warmth of the bullring which made the waiting easier.

17. ascender macrumors 68000

My local store were just doing the upgrades on paper as they said the system was going far too slow. Took about 10 minutes in total from getting in to being out.

18. ayzee macrumors 6502a

ayzee

visited the bullring apple store and spoke to my mate who works there. He told me they have loads!! Also stocking the white iPhones too. I think new customers are fine as hey can just pop into the apple store who have plenty of stock, unlike O2...

19. philgilder macrumors 68000

same, worked fine. even got the last 16gb iphone in stock! :D

20. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

i queued up from 5.45am at the o2 store hounslow, was second in line

was let into the store at 8 and didnt leave till after 9.30

they just took my details and charged me for the phone and said they would put the contract through later

the systems are still down, i can't activate my iPhone!! (Upgrade) :(

21. Holty123 macrumors 6502

Holty123

Upgrader

Yes was first in queue and Accrington store at 6:20am there were only 8 iPhones in total and of that two were 16GB!!!!!! in the end there was at least 15 people in queue even though they were told of stock levels! once i sat down at 8am it took i hour to process in the end the very clued up Nick (02 staff) just gave me the phone took my money and off i went to Burnley store were two friends were first and sixth in queue only three 16GB there 20 in total, up and running now worth the wait
    Lee
    ;)