Have any Penryn PC laptops actually shipped yet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bollweevil, Feb 6, 2008.

1. bollweevil macrumors 6502

I cannot find any news stories, retail websites, or reviews indicating that any laptops (PC or otherwise) with Penryn processors have actually been shipped. Toshiba, Gateway, HP, and other PC makers have all started taking orders for Penryn laptops, but they all estimate they will ship in 1 to 2 weeks. Retail stores say their inventory will arrive in 1 to 2 weeks.

This means that Apple might not actually be behind in releasing the new Penryn MacBook Pros. If Apple announces the new MacBook Pros on February 12th and says they are already waiting in store inventories, then Apple Penryn laptops could conceivably be available before any PC Penryn laptop. You could have a new MacBook Pro in your lap before your friend gets their PC, even though they placed their order weeks earlier.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I did not do an exhaustive search of PC retailers or magazines. But it looks like Apple isn't behind the times - yet. If they wait until March 17th, that would be pretty frustrating.

2. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Someone did post a link to a Sony laptop which you could pre order the Penryn cpu. It had a ship date of the 19th (which is a Tuesday).

Hope Apple at least announce something next Tues.... i'm getting sick of the waiting. Got an iPod Classic and iTunes vouchers for Christmas and cant use them!

3. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

My point exactly, they have *announced* the Penryn laptop, but it isn't shipping for almost two weeks. Apple generally doesn't announce things far in advance, so their Penryn MacBook Pros might actually be available in stores and shipping first. I don't know if they will be that speedy, though.

4. benpatient macrumors 68000

Aside from the fact that Apple has moved away from "instant availability" as a general policy (the Air, the iPhone, etc), I wouldn't expect Apple to be first out of the gate. Mainly because you could have a Penryn laptop from Newegg.com by this Friday at your doorstep.

two Lenovo's in stock there right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146386

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146396

incidentally, they're 1000 and 1100 bucks, respectively.

They are both 2.1 ghz, 800mhz fsb and 3mb L3 cache, with a processor number T8100. That's a Penryn, right?

The difference between the two is just screen size/weight.

5. lbeaumont macrumors member

Dell in Australia is on their M1330, but the offer expires at the end of today.

6. hancock macrumors member

It seems from earlier posts that only the lower end penryn chips are available... the higher end chips that would be in the new mbps seem to be the laptops that are not shipping yet. As far as I have heard the mbps would have 2.5 and up and none of these laptops have those in them. This may or may not mean that intel is taking longer producing the higher end chips.

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

Well, if Lenovo delayed their penryn laptops, then their CTO website doesnt reflect it. AFAIK they have the 2.5ghz chips available for order.

8. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

I tip my hat to you. I was unable to find an in-stock Penryn PC, but Newegg has them already.

I don't think Apple has moved away from "instant availability," I think they still do it as often as possible. They announced the iPhone early because it is a phone, and they needed to give regulatory bodies information about it long in advance of its release - Apple did not have the choice of instant availability for the iPhone. I suspect the Air wasn't instantly available because they were behind schedule making it, but they knew they would be in trouble if they didn't meet the rumors of an ultraportable during Macworld. They stock dipped seriously after Macworld, what would have happened if they hadn't even promised the upcoming Air?

I suspect their MacBook Pro will be available instantly after announcement, and I also suspect it will come after many Penryn PCs. Apple is innovative, but not agile enough to put a new computer on the market immediately after the processors evolve. Lenovo, HP, and Gateway are agile enough, though.

9. thebeat macrumors regular

i thought PC gets the newest chips first.. like way ahead of apple.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not the case on many occasions, such as the Mac Pros and original Intel laptops.

11. thebeat macrumors regular

aww yah good point, I totally forgot about that.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

that used to be true before the "switch." I think part of the deal between Apple and Intel was that Apple would be VERY well-treated by Intel in the availability department.

Back in the IBM/PPC days, IBM would run a generation or two ahead of the G5 with their other Power-based processors for the server sector. Add to that the very, very slow release cycle from IBM, and you get a very strong perception that Macs were way behind the game. The truth is, they were.

Motorola-sourced G4s were even slower to be updated.

13. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

The Vaio's are supposed to be shipping with the Penryn processors on the 19th I believe.
    HP has announced Penryn laptops that are avaliable on their site, so I assume this means that they are already shipping (unless I have missed something on their website about a delay )

14. eddy64 macrumors regular

The dell m1330 now ships with penryn cpu's. C'mon apple!

15. Paix247 macrumors 6502

The 2nd one is out of stock.

16. Kyttlin macrumors newbie

Sony Vaio FZ models that are preconfigured w/ Penryn T8100 are available to ship now.

The FZ CTO models however still have an estimated ship date of Feb 19, 08.

(This is from Sonystyle US site)

17. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Umm, why cant you use them? You don't have a computer at all?

18. harry0 macrumors newbie

ya, my brothers dell m1330 arrived yesterday with the Penryn chip,

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/ 800 FSB/ 6MB Cache)

he's using it now..

19. bollweevil thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple is officially behind the times. All of the "1 to 2 week" waiting periods that I found on 2/6 have elapsed, and all of those Penryn PC laptops are available. I was surprised to hear that harry0's brother had a Penryn Dell on 2/11, from what I remember on 2/6 Dell was being completely ambiguous about when they would be available. I thought that Dell, with the indefinite time frame, was probably behind Gateway, HP, Lenovo, and Toshiba.

Oh, well.