Have any reviewers commented on backlight bleed on new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Mar 15, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I know some reviews have rolled out, has anybody heard anything about it?

2. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I've read and watched about 5 reviews, so far none have mentioned it.

3. capriseyhaze macrumors regular

capriseyhaze

same here

4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The only place i've ever heard backlight bleed mentioned on any idevice is macrumors. I guarantee there will be complaints again when people receive their iPad. If it's not backlight bleed, it will be something else.

5. bobright thread starter macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's not uncommon talked about on high display tv forums about uniformity or other issues don't see big deal.

6. Hoggles macrumors regular

Hoggles

Nope.

Those reviews have done one thing and one thing only...

Made me SO glad I bought one.

CAN. NOT. WAIT....for that display to be in my hands.

:D:p:D:p:D

7. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

There will be many posts about it soon enough. I can barely wait.:rolleyes:

8. EarlZ macrumors regular

At this early, none of them will ever talk about backlight bleeding or probably never will. Samsung's own SuperAMOLED plus and the related family has got some real quality control issues and reviewers never really touch them.

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I like to use the iPad to read at night, and use the Night theme in iBooks. With everything being so dark, light bleed is unfortunately a huge issue for me as it leads to a washed out grey screen and distracting edges. Of course some of what I'm experiencing is also mediocre black levels (i.e. "black" is dark grey), but I also only have the original iPad. This is actually a perfect application for OLED, which can produce great black levels and use very little power when the screen is mostly black. Hoping those issues have been improved for better quality in dark environments with the newer iPad screens.

10. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

I would think it's hard, given the thinness of the iPad, to have zero bleed. I think even Android tablets have their share of bleed.

11. homeboy macrumors 6502

I'll be sure to buy a magnifying glass, walk down to a basement and inspect my new iPad for dead pixels or back light bleeding. :D

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Did anyone mention it with the 2 in early reviews? I went through a few units initially because of dead pixels and dust under the screen. Not one of the units I received had back light bleed issues. I even posted pics in a few threads.

Granted, one one iPad I had, there was a tiny little bit of bleed that was barely noticeable in the corner or along the edge, and that was in a pitch dark room with brightness all the way up. I had several people tell me I should return it, even though it was in no way visible during normal usage.

My opinion: people latched on to this and blew it way out of proportion.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

Just like everything else that Apple releases. There's too much emphasis that these products should be a work of art or something and less that they're only a tool, which is what all they really are.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

THIS.
    The fact is normal people take their device out of the box and start using it. I've seen so many posts about people talking about their action items once their iPad arrives. The first or second thing is to check for defects then backlight bleeds. I think that checking for obvious dents and scratches is fine but to really try to find something is obnoxious. Although, return it because that perfect refurb can be someone elses for much cheaper!

15. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

People who purposely go out their way to find flaws are really irritating.

16. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

Its better to find the DEFECT early than later on down the road when your iPad is hooked up with apps and new content.

When it happens to you don't be mad. Just live with the bright white stuck cluster of pixels in the middle of your screen.

17. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Not such an issue anymore with iCloud. That painful process of taking the replacement back home and re-doing everything in iTunes is now a thing of the past. That gets overlooked a lot in the news these days and Apple haters still like to tick off iTunes as a disadvantage in the setup process, but it's no longer accurate.

My iPad 2 backup is in iCloud right now. When I get my new iPad tomorrow, I will restore from backup and I'm off to the races. I haven't plugged an iDevice into my computer since iOS 5.

18. kmanmx macrumors 6502

Apple will of cherry picked the tablets to give to reviewers. They will be perfect all round. Thats why you often here reviewers say "We are hearing people reporting thisthisandthis, but we can't say we've had these problems".

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yep, exactly.

20. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

backlight bleed is a QC problem. Normally it means that the screen isn't aligned properly with the glass. The 2012 iPad has LED side lighting just like the iPad 2 so you may still experience backlight bleed. It will be on an odd case basis however so if there is a problem, you should be able to get it re-aligned.

21. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not even close.