Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
Right now I am using MBP 13' and planning to switch to 15'! Can i just swap the Harddrive or do i need to reinstall OS X all over because its a total different unit? I read somewhere on here saying that if you switch HD from 13' to 13' then theres no problem with that but mine is 13' to 15'?

superericla

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2010
There could (potentially) be an issue in swapping the drives from the 13" from 15". All that would be needed is to pop in the disk that comes with the 15" and install OS X from that which would just reinstall OS X without removing your files. I have no experience with this so it may work fine for all I know.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
There could (potentially) be an issue in swapping the drives from the 13" from 15". All that would be needed is to pop in the disk that comes with the 15" and install OS X from that which would just reinstall OS X without removing your files. I have no experience with this so it may work fine for all I know.

got lion on it now :) I would hate to re-install all my apps!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You can move it over and then run a standard "Archive and Install" installation which only reinstall OS items including drivers for the system while retaining your data and programs.

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
i don't think you would have to do that.just make a time machine backup of your entire disk. get 15" macbook pro. restore time machine. done.no hassles.

not really familiar with time machine! Does TM burn like an image file on a usb HD?

Minhthien

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 20, 2011
i don't think you would have to do that.just make a time machine backup of your entire disk. get 15" macbook pro. restore time machine. done.no hassles.

Got it thanks! So when i install the old SSD in the 15'! DO i power boot up? I mean its already have Lion installed! Or there away not booting up but just using Time Machine?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.