Have Apple pulled a fast one on me?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Truffy, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I bought a new Mac Pro from the Apple online store, and added a Magic Mouse and battery charger to the order.

According to the Mac Store, the battery charger comes with 6 rechargeable AA batteries, and the mouse comes with 2 (not specified as to whether rechargeable or not).

There were only 6 batteries in my delivery, all rechargeable, 2 in the mouse.

Should there have been 8 rechargeable batteries in the delivery (in which case I'm not a happy camper), or have Apple simply saved the planet by reducing the weight of my shipment by 2 non-rechargeable batteries (in which case, I'll take this as a virtual whale hug)?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The standard supplied batteries are not rechargeable. So they have simply not sent you the non-rechargables.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Call them back and tell them you didn't get your entire shipment. If you explain nicely, I'm sure they'll send the batteries. It's not a "fast one". More likely a simple oversight.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It's a virtual whale hug. I'd simply call them up and explain what happened, and ask if they could credit your account a few dollars, as, while you enjoy saving the planet, you would have liked to have known about your "donation" before hand.

/Save the whales!

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't see how reducing shipping weight saves any whales, since UPS stopped hiring them to deliver packages years ago! :D

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

We had a similar, but not as *nal gaffe - we only saw 4 batteries upon opening the box, so we called and got a small cc credit for the oversight - fast forward 2 months when we finally went to use the mouse and found the final 2 batteries in the mouse. We called again, they said don't worry about it, simple mistake.

7. goMac macrumors 603

Magic Mouse doesn't come with rechargeables, so really you're not down much if you planned to use the rechargeables anyway. :)

8. Truffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Thanks all! I can live without a couple of non-rechargeables, no biggie. If the standard mouse shipment is with straight AAs, I won't miss them. :cool:

9. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

Makes sense to me, if it were the other way around though - thats another story.

10. Truffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Truffy

Heh, what I failed to mention was that I also ordered the Magic Trackpad, which also normally ships with 2 alkaline batteries. But in this case, it also came with two rechargeables, fully charged (as was the case with the mouse).

So, instead of 6 rechargeables and 4 alkalines, I got 8 rechargeables. I'm not blind to Apple's occasional problems and foibles, but when they get it right they really get it right! :)

11. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Reminds me that I should get a set of rechargeables from apple to try them out. How long does a pair last in the magic mouse?

12. jenzjen macrumors 68000

FYI, they are rebranded Sanyo eneloop, so you can just buy those, too.

13. Truffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I finally got around to disposing of the cardboard packaging and lo', beneath the trackpad recess there were 4 more rechargeable batteries. :eek:

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So the answer to the thread title is: No!

15. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

So now, instead of 6 rechargeables and 4 alkalines, you now have 12 rechargables? :p Good deal.