Have bricked iphone downgrading from 3.0. Can't restore. Please help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bubba87, Jun 10, 2009.

1. bubba87 macrumors member

After upgrading my iphone to 3.0 (the torrent version) I realised I didn't have any of my contacts etc on my phone so decided to downgrade and restore from backup.

I held shift and restored to the 2.2.1 firmware. This stalled at the end and I had to disconnect my phone. Now it only shows the

[​IMG]
    screen

When I connect to itunes it tells me

[​IMG],

but after trying to restore it presents me with a

[​IMG]

The process then just loops. I have no idea what else I can do

I'd be incredibly grateful for some immediate help. I use my iphone constantly and would hate not to use it until 3.0 goes live on the 17th! thanks guys

2. tylertech macrumors regular

Try putting it in DFU mode? Plug the phone into iTunes. Turn off the phone. When the phone's off, hold power and home for 10 seconds, then release power while still holding the home button. Keep holding home until iTunes detects the iPhone in recovery mode. Then just restore it.

3. totalsubmersion macrumors newbie

Restore using the 3.0 firmware again and then set up as a new iPhone ... for the time being you are stuck with this, but it's better than a brick

4. ugotpwned5 macrumors member

You need a windows computer...boot up quickpwn and it'll push the iphone out of recovery mode. :D

*Edit
    Also when you need help. post in the HELP section/troubleshooting

5. TypeEE macrumors member

I have the same exact problem. I wonder if downgrading to iTune 8.1 will enable me to downgrade or not.

3.0 doesn't help because I don't have an AT&T SIM card. I used to be able to use the phone w/o sim card when it was at 2.2. Now, it'll not let me use the phone without a proper sim card.

6. Cap41 macrumors 6502

once you go to 3.0 there is really no going back. If you restore to 3.0 you should be fine.

7. Cap41 macrumors 6502

Forgot to add, make sure you have the most up to date version of itunes.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Wrong. If you update to 8.2 it messes with low level usb stuff that affects dfu/jailbreak procedures. Avoid updating to the latest version. ;)

9. iranintoavan macrumors regular

iranintoavan

Sorry but your screwed. It upgraded the baseband of your phone and now it is unable to be unlocked, no matter what firmware it's on. :(

10. The General macrumors 601

Quickpwn, and install 3G Fuzzyband Downgrader from Cydia.

If your phone has bootloader 5.08, you can downgrade the baseband and unlock it. If you don't have bootloader 5.09, then you can't unlock it yet.

11. jordangs4 macrumors newbie

I just did this last night, you can still downgrade to 2.2.1, but you will have the updated baseband of 4.xx.xx. First, you need to get on a computer with Itunes 8.1. It doesn't work properly on 8.2. Once you have Itunes 8.1, put the phone in DFU mode. Shift click for restore and choose the 2.2.1 firmware. Once you see the screen turn white, you should see the apple logo and the restore should complete. Once completed, I received the itunes error 1013, problem restoring firmware. I disconnected the phone and rebooted it. After rebooting, I got the slide for emergency screen. Once you get that, reconnect the phone to Itunes so Itunes can activate the phone, and you should be good from there. Hopefully that helps. After that, I was able to do quickpawn and jailbroke the phone again, but the key is Itunes 8.1.

12. bubba87 thread starter macrumors member

managed to restore back to 2.2.1 :) even though the restore is about 4 months old so I've lost a lot of stuff...

Thanks for your help guys!

13. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    At least you go your phone working again! Just one more week 'til the official 3.0!

14. townbiscuit macrumors newbie

Hey

hey man. i know your post is old now..but can`t you still help me ? i`ve messes up my iphone 3gs and getting all kinds of errors when trying to restore-1015,1013 etc..

what did you do to restore it again ? any help is welcomed.
    thanks

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

You need hashes to restore to any firmware version older that 4.2.1
    At the end, when you get the error, use TinyUmbrella to kick the 3GS out of recovery mode, it will reboot and be fine.

16. townbiscuit macrumors newbie

can you be more specific ? hashes ? i`m not sure what you`re refering to.

story is, iphone 3gs update from 3.1.3 to 4.2.1. jailbraked it for unlock. didn`t knew it was a tethered jailbreak so when i saw cydia isn`t working i thought it didn`t jailbreak properly.jailbreaked it again but this time selected older 3gs. well it proves out it was a newer 3gs and all i had to do to make cydia to work was to boot tethered.

now the phone is jailbroken,at least that is what ireb says when i try the recovery mode loop fix -recovery loops can't be removed on tethered jailbroken devices.

now i`m stuck. itunes 10.2..or last. tried reinstalling official 4.2.1 firmware 4.2.1 cfw in both recovery and dfu mode..nothing. i`m at close at making a hole in the ground and burry the phone.

any help is welcomed.
    thanks !

17. shakeman0, Feb 5, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011

shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Ok, install TinyUmbrella. Make sure you have SHSH blobs saved for the firmware you want to restore to. Download the firmware you want to restore to. Start TSS server within TinyUmbrella. Plug in your phone and hold the option key and click restore. Choose the firmware you downloaded. When you get the error near the end of the restore process use TinyUmbrella to kick your phone out of recovery. It should restart and work perfectly.

I had this same issue downgrading to 4.1.

EDIT: Made an image of TU. Hope this helps.

18. townbiscuit macrumors newbie

:confused::confused::mad:

i`ve managed to boot the phone up. i've entered pwned dfu mode and reinstalled cfw 4.2.1 from itunes. got phone turning on and here i am at the unlock screen. to unlock it i must jailbreak first. well it`s already jailbroken and not working. first time worked..now it doesn`t. i try to rejailbreak the cfw but it freezes at uploading ramdisk. ok let`s say it doesn`t work beacause it`s already jailbroken,but when i use redsnow and select run tethered jailbreak mode or something like that it first show the pineapple logo than screen kinda flashes and comes up apple logo..and back to boot screen.
    i would reinstall 4.2.1 official fw but it won`t allow me to. i believe it`s because of the already installed 4.2.1 cfw.. but i`m not sure.

any thoughts ? advice ? what should i try ? how could i try to install the official fw ?

pfff...

19. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Are you unlocked or trying to remain unlocked?

20. townbiscuit macrumors newbie

hell no. i want to unlock. that`s why i tried to jailbreak. i bought the phone from someone and had 3.1.3 fw on it. asked if it`s unlocked and said yeah. updated fw to latest and now i`m stuck.

i have 06.15 baseband. i want to jailbreak first and than unlock. if it isn`t possible with this baseband cand i downgrade it ? i`m trying to get it jailbroken first but no luck.

do you happen to know where i can find a cfw 4.2.1 jailbroken but for baseband 06.15. i`ve installed a cfw but it isn`t compatible with 06.15 bb. i guess that`s why my jailbreak doesn`t work.still..it`s just a guess.

thanks.

21. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Are you unlocked or trying to remain unlocked?

Here is the TU image I made: http://www.flickr.com/photos/59154278@N07/5418381819/

22. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

Oh ok... I'm getting that you upgraded to official 4.2.1 firmware from an unlocked 3.1.3. If this is the case, there is no way to downgrade your baseband and currently no unlock available for the current baseband. I have little or no experience with unlocking though so I would recommend searching beyond my advice. I hope this helps and good luck.