iPad Have free t mobile 200 mb, but...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cchunk, Nov 23, 2013.

1. cchunk macrumors 6502

so i bought the ipad air with the free t mobile plan. I returned it and got the black air instead. I took out the sim card as thats what the apple employee told me to do. I got home and swapped sims with the one that came with the new one.

Now i cant get the network to work. I try loading a page(yahoo) and it sends me to the t mobile login page. i log in and it says my free plan is active. I have tried taking sim out and resetting network without wifi on of course, still nothing.

tried calling t mobile and the line is busy? any help is greatly appreciated.

2. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

SIMs once activated on T MO free account are locked to that device and can not be switched between devices.

3. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

apple employee never told me that. should i use the one that came with the new ipad then?

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Yes or any other TMO sim that hasn't been activated yet.

5. cchunk, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013

cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

got it. thanks a lot. will let you know if it works

EDIT: it worked. thanks

6. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Did you try and swap SIM's while powered down? If not, try and reboot and see if it works then. SIM should not be tied to a single device, especially an unlocked one.

7. cchunk thread starter macrumors 6502

idk but i switched to the new sim and it worked. just used my existing login for tmobile and it worked.

8. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

For the T-Mobile free 200 MB of data, the sim only works in the iPad in which it is activated. T-Mobile is probably doing this to stop people from activating multiple SIMS for stacking free use on a single iPad.

9. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have four T-Mobile sim cards now activated with the free 200MB plans. I can swap them between my Nexus 7 and iPad and even my iPhone.

I would simply get another sim card and create a new account. Not sure why it is not working on the new iPad. Again, I have no problem in using any of my 4 sims in any device.

10. bbbobbb macrumors newbie

My experience shows otherwise. Yesterday I "upgraded" my original VZW Air to a 128GB model and swapped the T-Mob sim to the new device. At first the T-mob site was "unavailable" but I checked later and it was all good showing the free "starter" account and usage as expected. I just checked again right now and the account is up and running fine with the T-mob sim I swapped...

11. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I did have one sim that seems to only work in my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 and not my iPad or iPhone as they always did before the 200MB deal came out.

I tried calling T-Mobile to find out why and no one there could tell me. They knew it should work in an iPad if it works in a Nexus 7 and Nexus 4. I spent nearly two hours getting passed around to this person and that one, hung up on, calling back and doing it again. I finally gave up because I was so close to just throwing my iPhone against the wall. Free 200MB wasn't worth smashing my iPhone over.

They are clueless over there, the people that deal with prepaid customers. They aren't the same people that deal with the T-Mobile postpaid customers. I have my 5S on a postpaid account and the people there know what they are doing and can solve problems.

For those who have this problem, just order up more sim cards so that you can have one for each device. I have four that I can use between all my devices and they work.

12. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

A bit off topic I guess, but will this plan work with a Verizon iPad 4?

13. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes. Works with my Verizon iPad3.