Have GM, do I need to download

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by maclaw21, Jul 20, 2011.

1. maclaw21 macrumors regular

I'm currently running the GM of Lion. Do I need to download the retail version from the App Store? Is there any point to doing so (other than padding Apple's wallet)? I'm confused/concerned about whether I'll be able to receive updates.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

2. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Be nice to "pad their wallet" as you call it since not doing so when you use the product is 1 plain wrong and 2 deffinitly illegal.

So you can afford Apple hardware but not $30 stinking bucks for the OS?

Shame. :rolleyes:

3. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

4. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

The Dev Center now lists the GM as just Mac OS X Lion and specifically states it is the release version. Same build number as before and the same that is on the App Store.

5. coorspate macrumors regular

coorspate

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The build number is reportedly different so I would say to be on the safe side download it.

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

If you legally paid your developer fee then don't worry. If you got the GM by illegal means pay. Karma is a bitch as they say.

7. Nero Wolfe macrumors regular

Nero Wolfe

The build number for both is 11A511. There was confusion over the build number in a .plist file in the installer. It was 11A494. But it is that way in both as well. As far as anyone can tell, the GM is the release version.

8. m.levvy, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

m.levvy macrumors newbie

developer.apple.com is dead...
    When I try to update with Mac App Store, I have message:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

But I can't move my system to trash !!!

EDIT 1:
    I've pressed Buy That app with alt and I have a messege:
    "You already purchased this item, to download it for free press OK"
    Guess what.
    Its downloading.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

Do you by chance have the GM "Install Mac OS X Lion" folder currently in your Downloads folder?

10. guzel macrumors newbie

+1:)

11. as2 macrumors newbie

as2

GM is definitely the release version.

If you get the error saying that you already have it installed, hold down Alt/Option whilst clicking BuyNow

12. torana355 macrumors 68020

Hey guys i had the GM already but held down option to buy Lion legit, my question is do i actually have install the Apple store version?, i know its the exact same build but I'm not sure if Apple will link the App store to the update process for future updates like 10.7.1???

13. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

If you have the GM through legal means, you've already purchased Lion as far as the AppStore is concerned. Re-download or not, it's the exact same thing as GM.

14. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Why would people downvote somebody advising you not to pirate software? He's right, and karma will get you.. or the BSA.

15. torana355 macrumors 68020

I got the GM by "other means" This is why I purchased the official app. The MAS says Lion is installed now so I'm guessing it will update with no issues.. Now that i think of it if it does not work then everyone that burns the DMG file to disk for backup is wasting their time as it will not update unless the install is linked to the app store.

16. dafire macrumors newbie

If you have the GM you are in the mac developer program... and as fas as I know as a member of the mac developer program you get lion for free.

17. DMVillain macrumors 6502a

THANK YOU...
    I downloaded the GM torrent because waiting sucks but wanted to pay. I was starting to think I was going to have to go back to snow leapord then do it.

18. Typswif2fingers, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

And Mac Server too... so it comes to about $80ish anyway... fair deal I think.

Btw.. the new iTunes is out. Just downloaded from Software update. I am running (what used to be known as) GM Mac OS X 10.7. This is the second packet of updates since 4 July when I purchased the GM (from what I can remember).

So, if you got a GM it should all be just fine...

19. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I'm currently running the GM of Lion. Do I need to download the retail version from the App Store? Is there any point to doing so (other than padding Apple's wallet)? I'm confused/concerned about whether I'll be able to receive updates?"

As someone above pointed out, the build numbers of the GM and release version are the same.

To me this indicates that they are one and the same.

What I would do (what I'm _going to_ do) is this:
    - Wait for the first system update (10.7.1)
    - See if it applies over the GM
    - If it _does_, I'll know that the GM is "the real deal".

20. c:v macrumors regular

I can confirm that the GM is the released version and will be getting normal software updates and it does show up in the MAS as installed. I have just received the software update as announced on the front page for Lion.

21. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Well that's good to know. So is the new iTunes full 64-bit?

Mega 64-bit power woo! :apple:

22. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

Yes, it is 64-bit

23. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Just mail a $29 check to Apple, and save yourself the trouble of re-downloading / re-installing the same software.

:D

24. GingerPrince macrumors member

In the app store, the button just says 'Installed' (even though I'm running on my SL partition). Holding option and clicking makes no difference at all. What am I doing wrong peeps?

cheers
    Matt

25. GingerPrince macrumors member

s'ok, it was because I had an 'Install Mac OS X' folder in my downloads folder.