Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2018
I use it about 5 hours a day, charged it to 100 a few times, trying not to do that now.

This seems wrong to me.

I guess if I had to replace it in a year I would be OK with that, what is it about $100? My wife has an XR now for 3 yrs and battery is 88%.

Andeddu

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2016
Normal. It’ll go down quickly then sit around 84% for 6 months or so. There is almost zero chance you’ll see <80% battery health in 2 years unless you are draining and charging your phone 2x or more per day.

I think a battery replacement is $79. Well worth doing after 2 years if you intend on keeping your device.

Reactions: bondr006

bondr006

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond
98% is normal use.
Normal. It’ll go down quickly then sit around 84% for 6 months or so. There is almost zero chance you’ll see <80% battery health in 2 years unless you are draining and charging your phone 2x or more per day.

I think a battery replacement is $79. Well worth doing after 2 years if you intend on keeping your device.
5 hours a day is serious use. 98% is sounding right.
Normal maybe for his use case, but 98% after 1 month is not normal with correct battery care. I have had my 13PM since June 2022 and it is still 100% battery health. I will say that charging it multiple times a day is detrimental to battery health though, and probably the cause for the 2% degradation in his battery life after only one month.

Reactions: graffia274

Jackbequickly

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2022
Normal maybe for his use case, but 98% after 1 month is not normal with correct battery care. I have had my 13PM since June 2022 and it is still 100% battery health. I will say that charging it multiple times a day is detrimental to battery health though, and probably the cause for the 2% degradation in his battery life after only one month.

I agree not normal but not outside the realm of possibility. Apple will not do anything.

sunapple

macrumors 68020
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Maybe it's not super accurate? My iPhone 13 mini is still on 100% after 6 months, that doesn't make much sense either. You don't need to take action, just see how it develops over the coming months. Wouldn't think it would keep this pace up and if it did or got worse, you should have warranty.

negative_

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
which one makes more sense?
stay the same for a long time and drop too fast or...?

for example
13PM from November 2021 still at 99% here.
do you think this could be real value?

bondr006

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010

for example

Going on 8 months and my 13PM is still 100%. Fact!

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 13.23.21.png
IMG_1277.jpg

Last edited:

bondr006

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
this is fake..if you want to real battery life...

These guys are some of the worst YouTubers out there. I have caught them in so many lies. They are just click bait. Lithium ion batteries wear how they are taken care of. Fact! Charging several times a day will wear them out faster. Letting it go to 0% often will wear them out faster. Using charging methods that create excessive heat will wear them out faster. Correct battery care will definitely extend the life and health of lithium ion batteries.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbochgd

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017

for example

I double confirmed my battery capacity using coconutBattery.

But battery wear is not lineal. Also the remaining max battery capacity is just one of the factors in the overall health of a battery.

In my experience, my iPhones have always stayed at 100% battery capacity for the longest time then it starts dropping more quickly after 99%.

This is because many new batteries actually come with some extra mAh over design capacity, but iOS will not report more than 100%. Also because the battery is at the best health chemically it will ever be.

Last edited:
Reactions: bondr006

negative_

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2023
Lithium ion batteries wear how they are taken care of. Fact! Charging several times a day will wear them out faster. Letting it go to 0% often will wear them out faster. Using charging methods that create excessive heat will wear them out faster. Correct battery care will definitely extend the life and health of lithium ion batteries.
I agree 100% with what you said..but the count there is wrong. Many times I have seen sudden very rapid drops, not one by one...
especially after updates

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.