Have had phone since release. Just started having issues. Please Help.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jumpman2033, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Jumpman2033, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Jumpman2033 macrumors regular

If there is a thread already started that could help, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise:

I have had my iPhone 4 since release day and it has worked flawlessly up until about 2 months ago (I jailbroke it once, but didn't care for it so it is no longer jailbroken). About 2 months ago, my phone just froze out of the blue. I was in the middle of sending a text and it just locked up and i lost everything that ive done since my last backup (which cost me about 2 months worth of updates/changes).

After the reboot it worked fine until last night. My phone was sitting, not being used and my wife called. I saw the call pop up on the screen, but it never rang. Before it could ring the phone just froze then reset. I did not lose anything this time since the phone just reset rather than completely freezing. I am not sure what is happening to my phone, or if i could do something to help.

Please provide any help, tips, or advice (outside of backing up often, because i do that NOW, haha).

Note: i always update to the newest software update when it becomes available.

2. junkiepilot macrumors newbie

I would try a restore first, if that doesn't work take it into an apple store.

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Just take it to the Apple store and let them sort it out. You could always have Apple send you a replacement. It is under warranty. There is no point in tinkering with it yourself. :cool:

4. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Does every community have an Apple Store now? If his community does, that's great advice...

5. Jumpman2033, Mar 23, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011

Jumpman2033 thread starter macrumors regular

2 hours away:( or else that would be my first option.

I would prefer not to exchange it (or send it in) since i have had very little issues (no yellow tint, very little proximity sensor issues, or any of the other highly discussed issues).

If i were to restore, should i restore as new? Would i lose anything? Would i be able to back up my phone right before i restore to new and not lose anything?

I apologize for the numerous questions, but as i have stated i have had very few issues with my iphone so haven't really needed any of this info before. Thanks again (and in advance) for any help.

6. patp Guest

Do you keep a lot of text messages on your phone?
    Keep alot of pictures on the camera roll? Friends of mine who keep both pics and texts in the higher qty tend to have more freezing lock ups etc. I haven't been able to prove it but it seems likely that the excess text messages and pictures may affect stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. patp Guest

If you do a back up before you restore you'll be able to restore to that back up. However in your case I would consider just restoring as new and unless if what you'll lose is super important a complete restore as new phone seems to fix alot of problems for a lot of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Seems coincidental. I have ALL the photos from my laptop on my phone. (and several movies). I have never cleared the text messages. I have no crashes.

9. icewing macrumors 6502

How often do you reboot your phone? I try to reboot mine every week or two - hold down the top button until you see "slide to power off", after it powers down press the top button for a second or two until you see the Apple logo.

I never have problems like this...however my kids do when they don't reboot every so often. :D

10. Jumpman2033 thread starter macrumors regular

Rarely. Maybe that would be helpful. Thanks for the advice. I may also try to restore (to backup because i don't want to lose everything).