Have I actually broken my iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by carlosbutler, Apr 13, 2010.

1. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

Put simply:
    - Paid for developer iPhone program, updated iPhone to Beta OS 4.0
    - Wanted to return to OS 3.x, and clicking restore in iTunes not only failed restore of OS 4.0, but didn't restore to previous 3.x because of some error which lead to Apple's support site.
    - On Apple's support site, it said hold down the home button when connecting to iTunes, to put it into recovery mode. Did this, and same error as when previously trying to restore except that I now can not switch on the phone as it keeps asking to be connected to iTunes, and because it won't restore there is nothing I know of that I can do.

I have tried looking online for a solution, nothing useful came up. Tried using a different Mac, nothing worked as still the same error. I contacted Apple two days ago, and have not heard back (contact through a certain email address they give you for the iPhone developer program).

Please, anyone if you have any suggestions or heard of anything as I do not have a phone at all now, and as is surprisingly hard living with out a phone. :(

2. boatski macrumors regular

Screw an email... I'd be calling their support line.

3. Raima macrumors 6502

I didn't have any problems with updating mine.

The only thing I can think of is if you tried to update the firmware with the incorrect version.

ie 3GS firmware on a 3G phone.

Double check you have the correct firmware for your iphone. If you don't, download the correct version and try again.

4. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I have tried - it is the correct firmware and I have tried 3.1.3 and 4.0 restores. Neither work. Tried it on 3 different Macs, different USB ports, different cables and have done everything that the support page says. This is really pissing me off I need a phone! Any more suggestions?

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Next time heed Apple's warning:

6. willh1234 macrumors newbie

Have you tried putting the device into DFU mode and then restoring?

7. carlosbutler thread starter macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

I knew the risk when I had installed it. I had only expected the OS to not work properly, which it didn't with calls not picking up, freezing etc - that I expected. What I didn't expect was not being able to restore the phone, whether it was with 3.1.3 or 4.0

I don't know what DFU mode is, although it doesn't matter any more since I went to the Apple store, they had a looksy it at and simply gave me new one. So no problem any more, although it's so strange how 'unconnected' I was without my phone :confused: