Have I been damaging my Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cRz, Jul 1, 2012.

1. cRz macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 13-inch Macbook Pro, all lowest specs possible.

I pretty much only use Bootcamp on my computer.

I have a 40 GB partition for the Windows on my Macbook Pro.

So, I've been playing MapleStory on pretty much every day, like all day. I guess it's a lot of work for my computer, but despite this, I continue to play it A LOT. Now, last night, I decided to leave it on MapleStory. It crashed, like it always seems to do nowadays. But when I touched it, it was SUPER hot. Like BURNING hot. Hotter than I ever EVER had my computer be before. And it was just on the home screen on my computer with no applications running..? ( I have my computer set to never go to sleep. )

Why would it be SUPER hot if it CRASHED? Before, I could leave my Macbook Pro on MapleStory all night and all day continuously with no crashes, and it wouldn't get so blistering hot.. Did I do damage to my computer?

Also, another thing to add, I am running out of space. The message for the crash said something about not being enough storage to run the application..? I do have like 10GB left of space.. Oh well, how do I increase the partition?

Thank you for your time and reading my distraught message. I am really worried about my thousand dollar computer.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

When was the last time you cleaned the dust out??

3. magbarn macrumors 68000

He's right, especially if you're a heavy user, most likely the cooling fins are gunked up. I really doubt you've damaged your machine. For example, your CPU will auto-shutoff if it exceeds 105C. BTW AFAIK there's no way to increase the size of your bootcamp partition without deleting it and re-installing windows.

4. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had it since christmas and I've never done that

----------

Aw man. There is no way in hell I am going to delete and reinstall that. Took my two trips to the Apple store and hours and hours because I had no idea what I was doing.

So how do I clean the dust out?

5. JesseW6889 macrumors 6502

So far as I can tell, nothing is wrong with the computer?

Reboot and be a little bit more conscious of what is on your computer (especially since it's a laptop) before walking away from it. I wouldn't leave any graphically intense programs running idly, as they will take a heavy toll on your machine!

Good luck!

6. cRz thread starter macrumors newbie

I explained how it crashes when it usually didn't, but I guess I have to clean the fans.

7. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I imagine it continued to run hot because there was a stuck/rogue process still running. As for cleaning it, just remove the aluminium under plate and see if theres any dust in the fans. If so you can just blow it or use a proper pressurised air can.

Also, did it say you don't have enough storage space, or RAM? 10GB remaining should be plenty of space.

8. stevelam macrumors 65816

Bootcamp has ****** power control and will always run hotter than it should. Would the CPU actually shut down if it got too hot while in Windows? I assume thats at the bios level but not sure.

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

There are ways to expand the boot camp partition. It is not something you would do casually as messing with partitions can wipeout everything on the hard drive.

You would need to shrink the OS X partition in Disk Utility, create an addition fat partition and then have windows resize the bootcamp partition into the new space. That's the general idea but in practice it could be more complicated. I haven't tried it with bootcamp on a Mac (just PCs). On my Mac I've always backed up the Windows partition with Winclone and wiped and restored using Winclone. Unfortunately Winclone is no longer supported but it does still work most of the time.

Cheers,

10. doh123 macrumors 65816

if you mean it got super hot after it crashed but doesn't normally... that happens sometimes. When Windows or Windows apps crashes they sometimes lock in full CPU usage or other such things... its weird I know, but it happens.

11. magbarn macrumors 68000

Considering the OP took 2 trips to apple store to install bootcamp, I wouldn't recommend what you're saying for him. He may end up having to reinstall osx and bootcamp!

12. Queen6, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

What`s your set, is the Mac just sat flat on the desk? If so elevate the rear of the system to allow greater air flow. You can by passive coolers such as Rain Designs Mstand & iLap, only powered cooler I have seen make any real effect is the Moshi Zefyr 2 as it works on a slightly differing principle to traditional PC coolers.

Your system is still relatively new so the fans & heat-sync`s should still be reasonably effective, unless you live in an extremely dusty environment. One of my MBP`s (Early 08 15" Penryn) fans recently failed after over 4 years in Qatar and the Tropics. Until i got round to replacing the fans CP was regularly running in the high 90`s and the case would reach 60C as the system runs non stop 24/7, My primary MBP (Late 11 2.4 i7) is encoding now 92C @ 25C ambient, Mac`s are in general highly resilient to high temperatures; both MBP`s are on Mstand`s

It`s more likely that your system had a runaway process and you may have incurred some damage to the Windows OS. As you predominantly run Windows under Boot Camp, boot into OS X and load up the system if you have no issue at high temps/load your hardware is fine, and you will need to look deeper into Windows for the solution. If your system shuts down/crashes under OS X you will have to turn to :apple:

As for space clean up your Windows partition, as you may have a lot temp files etc cluttering the drive, CCleaner works well just leave the regisrty settings as is

13. shelhed217 macrumors member

I used Camptune by Paragon software to expand my windows partition on my MBA and it worked like a charm. It costs something like $20 I think.

14. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

I just increased the size of my windows partition from 100GB to 150GB using winclone last month when i changed hard drives.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Macs have no bios, the shutdown is determined by the CPU first it throttles then it shuts down if the temp isn't reduced.

Op 6 months heavy use is enough to clog it up trust me 5 minutes work can make a huge difference!