Have I been hacked?

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by iamfredrik, Nov 9, 2015.

1. iamfredrik macrumors member

"We are watching you" was spoken twice through the speakers on my MBP while working. Have I been hacked or have I caught some malware? Anyone experienced anything like this before?

2. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

3. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I just realised I was way too brief on my post, so let me elaborate:

If a coworker/friend/roommate has your password they are definitely pranking you:

1. Check the number 9 and 10 on this site.
    2. Another example of your mac saying things "out of the blue".
    3. Tip number 4 "But the most enjoyable use for say is rather more sinister: if you have ssh access to a friend or coworker’s Mac, you can silently log into their machine and haunt them through the command line. Give ‘em a Siri-ous surprise."

So, it is more likely a prank being played on you. Change your user's password and NEVER, EVER give anyone your password.

4. iamfredrik thread starter macrumors member

I have never given out my password and I work alone from home so nobody I know is playing a prank on me. Safari had a webpage open so could it have been just a sound file played on that site?

5. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

that makes the most sense...

6. iamfredrik thread starter macrumors member

Okay. I noticed the firewall was off so I set it on just in case. Btw, why is the firewall off by default? That doesn't seem like such a good idea.

7. mapleleafer macrumors regular

Hearing voices can be a symptom of worse things.

8. Queen6, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Truthfully It was more likely a random audio snippet off a web page, especially if you are not blocking Add`s, taken out of context has spooked you.

Q-6

9. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 68040

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

If the voice says they read your post on this forum then you can worry and call the cops.

10. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

11. iamfredrik thread starter macrumors member

I have ClamXav v2.6.4 which I got a while back from the Mac App Store, but it doesn't seem to be available there anymore. Is that version sufficient or do I need to buy the latest version from their website?

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

For those of you who don't need or want an "active" solution, try Bitdefender Antivirus Scanner from the App store; it`s free, nonintrusive, and runs only when you want it to. The scanner does not offer much in the line of protection being very much an on demand tool, equally for the majority of OS X users, most just want to validate that the drive is free of malicious code be it related to OS X or Windows. Where Bitdefender`s Scanner excels is detection & simplicity having no daemons or start up agents etc.

Q-6