Have I been scammed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dave in Wales, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

Dave in Wales macrumors newbie

http://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/201...cammers-offering-costly-pc-cleanup-solutions/

I know this is MS but have they got me too, I have a MBP.

Safari froze and advised that I call...HELP LINE NUMBER : (44)0-808-143-3711

It looked all official and appeared to come from Apple.

Anyway, stupid, stupid me, wise after the event, called and the upshot is I'm £119.19 poorer.

They controlled my MBP while they were doing the 'work'.

Adblock Plus was installed, but I see that's available as a free download.

The billing advise is from someone called VIRTIFIC SOLUTIONS and billing is to Techhelp-upclick.com.

2. goosin' macrumors member

goosin'

3. marzfreerider macrumors member

Why would you call and give them permission to take control of your mac? Yes you were scammed and what's to say they didn't do something else to your mac? Did you not try the command, option and esc keys to force quit?

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Were you looking at naughty sites at the time?

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Change all your passwords. Don't click on pop up windows.

8. tarebacke macrumors newbie

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Yep you've been scammed and have no idea what they put on your computer, I'd back up your files only and reinstall all your software from scratch.

10. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

If you paid with a credit card, be sure to call up the credit card company and report it.

11. zombiecakes macrumors regular

safari didnt freeze, you went to a website that said it did

12. b0fh666 macrumors 6502a

b0fh666

call your bank and have them chargeback the $

13. Studflower macrumors member

first, call your bank or credit card company and get the fraud investigation team to get your money back.

then, factory reset your computer, or do a system restore if you backed up.

14. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I would re-install the whole OS from the Net Restore Disk (Apple + R during reboot). Nuke the entire site from orbit, its the only way to be sure..

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sadly, I have to agree with this. Sorry @Dave in Wales.

16. CursedDICE macrumors newbie

17. CursedDICE macrumors newbie

Normally when an app freezes, doesn't Yosemite kill them and bring up the "App name" has quit unexpectedly window with the option to reopen? Stuff pretty much never crashes on mine so I rarely see what happens

18. snaky69, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes, yes you have been scammed. It's a way of getting people that are ignorant about computers to install software that can "phone home" anything you do on your computer, including passwords for bank accounts and such. No computer company will ever have you call anyone in any circumstance if you have a software problem. Should any number pop up, you have simply installed shady software or gone to a shady website.

Report the transaction to your credit card and have it reversed. Completely format and reinstall your software.

This is the same type of scam that was used against elderly people that knew nothing about computers. An email, seemingly from their bank, that told them they needed to enter their credentials to keep their account active. Once they did it, they woke up next morning with no money. All transfers were "authorized by them" since it all came from their own account.

Consider it a lesson learned, and I will say again. NO COMPANY WILL EVER DIRECTLY CONTACT YOU FOR ANYTHING RELATED NOR ASK YOU TO PAY FOR SERVICES UNLESS YOU CALLED THEM(them being your bank, Apple, etc) FIRST, EVER.

19. Rusty33 macrumors 6502

Rusty33

Yes! This is your absolute first port of call.

20. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Disconnect from the internet ... back up all your crap ... do a clean restore of your computer. We all do stupid crap sometimes. I fell prey to a phishing e-mail ages ago. Looked like a legitimate e-mail from my bank and it asked me to fill out my bank info. I put my credit card number in and the digits on the back and the second I pressed send I thought ... "wait a minute ... oh ***!"

I didn't even turn my computer off ... I went right to the bank to cancel my card and get a new one sent to me.

This is called experience and you'll never do anything this incredibly stupid again. :)

21. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

The money is one thing, but you really need to format your machine asap

22. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Everyone makes a mistake, so don't feel too bad. Good of you to make a thread about your experience, so others can learn.

I'd follow the advice of others on here, and do a compete wipe/reinstall immediately.

23. iPaintCode macrumors regular

iPaintCode

Jake Vale did a video on this very scam. Sadly these scams are very popular these days.