Have I been sold a used Macbook??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jonboy1987, Oct 9, 2014.

1. jonboy1987 macrumors newbie

Hi there, I recently bought a MacBook pro 13" Model number A1278 (non retina). There are 3 things that make me thing it's not a new model. (I bought from a Willeys store).

1- There was no welcome/startup video when I first turned it on. I went through the language options and stuff but I was slightly disappointed about the video as I heard it's pretty cool the first time you turn a mac on.

2- It was on around 50% battery when I first turned it on.

3- On the 'about this mac' tab in system report information, the health status of the battery reads "normal". I've had a look online and others say "good". How can my supposed brand new laptop not be in the best possible condition on the very first day of opening it?

I've also noticed a small chip around the charging port, very tiny but it's there. I've taken it back to Willeys and they said they can't issue a refund because the box has been opened... I now need proof that this laptop isn't new for a refund to be given.

Does anyone have any input on this? Perhaps there are logical reasons for each of these points? Are there any ways to check if this laptop is new or not?

Many thanks

Jon

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Was the MB sealed in the box, and enclosed in plastic?

3. chabig macrumors 68040

You bought a mid-2012 MacBook Pro? Of course it isn't new, unless you believe they had it sitting around on the shelf for two years. If they did it would explain the battery at 50%. How many cycles are on the battery?

4. jonboy1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. But all it was was a plain transparent sticker on the box and a plastic film over the MB itself. Not exactly hard to mimic :confused::confused:

Perhaps my model doesn't have the startup/welcome video?

What about the battery condition though? Surely it should say better than "normal"

----------

I didn't know it wasn't the latest model. Battery cycles says 1.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Was it sold to you as new?

No, its not model specific, if you reinstalled OS X fresh, you'd see the welcome screen.

6. =E= macrumors regular

=E=

What does it say if you do this http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1519 ?

7. jonboy1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah it was sold as new. I paid $1400 for it!

Battery cycles says 1, and condition says "normal".

I 100% didn't see the video, I was thoroughly disappointed!

How can I prove to the store that it isn't new! They are refusing to give me a refund.....

8. chabig macrumors 68040

That seems to show that perhaps it was two years old, but new. By the way, the welcome video hasn't been part of OS X for a while now. I think it went away with Lion in 2011.

----------

It probably was "new" but not recent. At the very least I think they are acting fraudulently by selling you a two year old machine for a new price. Consider taking it up with your credit card company, and perhaps the state attorney general.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

There is no welcome video what you saw was normal.

The battery out of the box is usually 40-70% charged so that's normal.

As for the chip manufacturing defects happen.

10. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It's a 2-year old MacBook, so it isn't exactly new :p

There is no welcome video since the days of Lion (2011 onwards).

The battery condition is supposed to read normal, even when it's brand new.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

There hasn't been a welcome video since either 10.6 or 10.7.

Everything else you describe is normal.

12. jonboy1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that's what I think, but what is the latest version of the Macbook pro 13" (non retina)? On the apple store it doesn't give me any indication of the model number.....

I bought it in Korea. All I want is a refund but they're refusing to give me one.

13. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It is new. Why are you trying to get a refund?

14. jonboy1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, that rules out the video and chip on the charging port.

But I've checked online and found other battery conditions that read "good" instead of normal?

----------

Well I didn't know until now that these problems are normal.

But as someone rightly put, I had no idea it was a 2 year old model. This isn't the latest version of the Macbook pro 13" right? (non retina)

15. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Battery Status hasn't read "Good" for a long time. It's either "Normal" or "Service."

My new battery has 17 cycles and reads "Normal."

Stop fretting and use your brand new computer.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not totally sure, and it being a 2012 model, I'd say return it, just for peace of mind.

17. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The MacBook Pro (non retina) hasn't been updated since 2012. It doesn't mean it's not new. The computer was probably built within the last few weeks. It's not like it's been sitting on the shelf since 2012.

What's the model number?

18. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

That sounds normal to me. Even with the machine powered off, the battery will still slowly deplete over time when not plugged in. 50% is about right for a computer that's been sitting in a box for a long period.

19. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

And replace it with what? The exact same machine? The guy doesn't have any issues, it's not faulty.

20. jonboy1987, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014

jonboy1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Part number - MD10KH/A
    Serial number - edited
    Model number - A1278

Sorry I'm not very tech-savy. I just don't like the idea of having a machine that is already 2 years old. I can't afford to buy another one for at least 5 years. If possible, I'd like the newest safest most reliable option if possible. I kind of feel like they've just sold me the old model....

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Brand spanking new. By the way - probably take that serial number down.

The computer isn't two years old, that particular model is though. You would have seen that when you were researching your purchase beforehand.

----------

They didn't sell you the old model. They sold you the current non-retina MacBook Pro.

22. jonboy1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate your input, you've been really helpful. I don't have much time to research computers unfortunately. I just bought this because I heard they don't break and will get at least 5 years out of them... (I had previously bought 3 windows laptops within the last 6 years)

23. lumencreative macrumors regular

As far as I know, the 2012 Macbook Pro (non retina) is still the current model. If you check at https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do you need to provide Apple with your proof of purchase and you will then have full warranty with them.

----------

I would highly recommend getting AppleCare if you intend on the computer lasting you 'at least 5 years'...dunno who told you they don't break though.

24. jonboy1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, how did you know it was new? If it's not an old machine, but an old model, does that mean there are newer non retina models out there? If so, then surely my laptop should have been cheaper because it was the same price on the apple website

25. lumencreative macrumors regular

No, their are no newer non-retina models available. Your model is the current non-retina Macbook Pro.