have I got a problem with processor or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by longfoot, Mar 11, 2009.

1. longfoot macrumors newbie

hey guys-Im new here and pretty green to all this! I am now the proud owner of a new 17" mbp but slightly worried: Ive just run the short version of the hardwar test and it came up with an error which apparently can mean that the processor is not properly seated (reading of 14.796) however when i ran the long test it didnt do this and neither did it do it when i then reran the short test. A couple of days later I ran both again and no error message. The guy at apple said this is PROBABLY nothing to worry about and suggested I see if some apps run ok-however I have nothing to compare it to, to know. He also referred me to xbench but I really dont understand that either.

how do i check the machine is not faulty

Sorry if this is all rather pathetically basic but please be gentle-thanks a lot

2. recon731 macrumors newbie

I don't know what to tell you. I would run the hardware test on a regular basis, and if it happens again, take it in to the Apple store. Otherwise, I would use it, always keeping a current backup, and if something fails, take it in under warranty and get it fixed.

You never go wrong with a backup, it cures cancer.