Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MXM

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Hello,

I recently downloaded a Java Update 5 (as part of the regular Mac OS software update), but just after it was downloaded, Mac notified me some number check wasn't correct (I can't remember the detail) and said the downloaded software may have been tempered with. However, a few days later, Mac OS informed me available update again, and one of them was Java update. I chose to download it again, but instead of downloading it, I found it was directly installed. It seems the original downloaded Java update was installed.

Now, I'm very concerned whether I've installed any dodgy program. I tried to re-download Java Update from Apple website, and installed it again. However, I'm still not sure whether there's any malicious program on my computer. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Try Clam Xav its a virus scanner, not sure if will do any good but definitely worth a shot!

I would be highly surprised if anything you downloaded through Apple's Software update would be malicious.

MXM

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Try Clam Xav its a virus scanner, not sure if will do any good but definitely worth a shot!

I would be highly surprised if anything you downloaded through Apple's Software update would be malicious.

Thanks. I don't know why the original download of the update was said to have some "incorrect number". I now remember I paused/stopped a download earlier and then updated the software again a few days later. Could it be that the Java update was paused and resumed that caused the number check to fail?

Regarding Clam Xav, if I install this program, would it suck up all my CPU?

Thanks

MWPULSE

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2008
London

I'm with this guy. It's highly unlikely that you would be contracting some form of bug thro apples website. You could always try redowloading again? Third time lucky n all that:)

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
It doesn't use that much tbh, however why not run it at night, set it going just before you go to bed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.