Have I just killed my iPhone4? Help please? Stuck in recovery.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AdamA9, Oct 16, 2010.

1. AdamA9 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to update to 4.1 from 4.0.2 with TU and I've followed all the steps, but it's stuck restoring and I really don't know what to do next.

I saved my SHSH file using TU and then opened iTunes and restored to 4.1 using the downloaded file. Now for the past half and hour it's stuck about 3/4 of the way during restore.

iTunes says this:
    [​IMG]

Whilst TU is saying this:
    [​IMG]

What can I do to sort this mess out? My phone at the moment is in restore, the Apple logo with the status bar under it is about 3/4 of the way through and I don't know what to do next.

Help? :(

2. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It looks like TU doesn't even recognise the phone as being connected as it only has recent devices listed and not the connected one :(

3. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

It won't show it as a connected device until the restore process has completed. Are you certain you saved the shsh for 4.1 prior to beginning this process? Is there a progress bar on the iphone?

4. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I definitely backed it up as I can see it in TU.

I got impatient and unplugged the phone and plugged it back in. TU recognised it so I kicked it from recovery and now it's upgraded to 4.1 and kept my old 1.59 baseband which is good.

Only problem now is iTunes is still saying it's restoring the iPhone, even though it's not and wont shut down. I've also lost all my apps so thinking I'm going to have to re-sync with iTunes to get them all back again?

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Just force quit itunes. The damage is done for this restore session anyway since you've already disconnected during the process. You can use activity monitor to do this.

Have no idea about the apps issue.

For everyone else out there I wouldn't unplug the phone from the computer if the progress bar on the phone hasn't finished. Semaphore has stated that clicking the kick button while the phone is still restoring is a great way to destroy your phone.

6. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I got lucky then. I'm syncing with iTunes now to get my apps back. Only damage appears to be my folders have gone, but I can recreate these with minimal fuss.

Thanks for your replies anyway - now I'm 4.1 will see about that JB...

7. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I wish I knew what went wrong here.

Maybe you can send your log file to Semaphore. There might be a bug in this new program.

8. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah sure I could do that - if I knew how. I didn't realise until I started that there was a new release of TU.

Still, no harm done, just panic! :)

9. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The log file "umbrella0.log" is saved in your user directory.

10. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool thanks.

I notice I can no longer get to the 'passcode lock' screen. It just doesn't let me go in there. Don't know if this is because it's not updated correctly or not. Everything else seems okay. Will keep an eye on it.
    :mad:

11. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I just went down this road as well since greenpois0n for osx just came out.

No big deal. When you see the status bar on the iphone hang around 3/4 of the way give it about 5 minutes, then just yank the usb cord and reinsert. Kick device out of recovery using Tiny and you'll be fine. iTunes gets funky showing two iphones mounted at once but this isn't an issue. Simply select the iphone that isn't in restore mode and set it up as a new phone and you are done.

I had no missing icons.

12. AdamA9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I did. Re-booted the phone with home+lock key and it's all working fine. Only difference is I restored from previous back-up rather than new phone. Not sure what difference that will make.

How did you get on with greenpois0n?

13. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone