Have I just made a Mistake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pyrotechnic, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I have SL Installed and with this obviously comes Quicktime Player - Version 10.

However, I wanted to convert some video footage and noticed to do this I needed QT Pro. So I looked into it, and saw it was £20 and thought, eh, if it works, it will be worth the £20 spent.

I have now purchased Quicktime Pro and realised its Version 7.

Have I made a mistake. It seems strange that I download a Version 7 to do what I need when I have a newer updated Version 10 installed.

I am now totally confused. :confused:

2. ethical macrumors 68000

I'm sure it's fine.

I'm guessing Quicktime Player is at version 10, and Quicktime Pro is only at version 7, as they arent updated at the same time. But that's just my guess.

Besides, if it does what the other one doesn't, then what's the problem?

3. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Thats the trouble, it does not do what I wish. All I want is to convert some video footage WMV and MVK to Avi as this is the only format my Media Player will use.

In fact I have been trying to find a solution for over a month on here with no solution. I have even tried to convert to AVI and it still will not play.

Its getting on my tits now. :mad:

4. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

1. You'll need Flip4Mac Pro to convert anything from or to WMV.
    2. Try Handbrake isntead of QuickTime for conversion to AVI.
    3. You can also try MPEGStreamClip for those conversions.
    4. QuickTime 7 is still on the Snow Leopard DVD; you'll probably need to install it separately. The license key for the Pro version only activates additional features of the standard QuickTime 7 package.
    5. If I'm not mistaken (and I might be here), QuickTime X no longer has or needs a Pro version because the functionality of QuickTime Pro is included in it already.
    6. I never needed or used QuickTime for any video conversion at all - it does not play well with non-Apple formats, so it's basically of no use for me. With Perian and Flip4Mac, at least it works as a video player.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

My understanding is that QuickTime for Snow Leopard skipped from version 7 to 10 and with that there is only one version as a Pro version of QuickTime 10 no longer exists. If the features of QuickTime Pro are needed then one has to use QuickTime 7 Pro. Both can be run on the same Mac.

6. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I have tried all the above.

I basically have a Lacie LaCinema Media Player which says it plays the following formats Video: MPEG-4 AVI, XviD, DivX® (3.11, 4.x, 5.x, 6.x)

However, no matter what I use I cannot get any video to play on the Lacie Drive.

I have downloaded video from the web with the avi extension and it plays fine.

I just seem to have trouble encoding to the specification of the Lacie Drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. ethical macrumors 68000

Ahh I see. Well, as mentioned, try Handbrake. Converts between lots of different video formats and is really easy to use.

8. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

I have tried handbrake but it does not allow video to be saved to avi which is the only one that meets the spec above.

Surely it cant be that hard to get a piece of software to do this, can it ?

9. lostless macrumors 6502

http://www.ffmpegx.com/
    It's not the prettiest program, but it will work, and best of all, its free. If you can find a program called visualhub, now discontinued by the author, It works very well and very easy to use.

10. Ap0k5 macrumors newbie

I believe they recently removed the ability to encode as .avi from Handbrake, as they thought the container to be old and lacking features of the newer container formats.

I assume that if you find and install an older version you should be able to create .avi files that will play on your device.

11. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Struggled to find any of the earlier stuff. I seem to be backtracking all the time.

This is the first time since I switched to mac I have come across a problem, its really disappointing not being able to find current software to complete this task. I have no objection to buying software if it works as I have lots of video footage to covert.

I guess my search continues. :(

12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

You can find previous versions of Handbrake here.

13. Pyrotechnic thread starter macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

Brilliant. Can anyone remember which version I need, to save me downloading each one ?

14. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Pyro, im 90% sure ReduxEncoder will do exactly what you want, and is much easier to use than Handbrake.