Have I made the right decision? going for the pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ri0ku, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Well I want to get a macbook pro 15inch 2.66ghz version. It will be my 1st apple machine (altho I have used macs allot through my education)

To obtain this macbook pro one of the conditions is to give my dad my quad core machine and in turn my parents will be paying for most of the macbook pro. (His pc broke down and he was needing to get a new one either way)

Im a video game design Uni student so I do allot of modelling and I do play a few games.

The pc specs of which il be handing over are
    Q6600 2.4ghz
    4gb 800mhz ram
    500gb HDD
    8600 GTS 512mb
    P5N-E SLI motherboard

I just think its time to move onto a mac, I love leopard and after seeing what snow leopard will bring to the table I think its gonna be awesome. I needed a portable machine for my travels to uni each day (1 hour 30 min to get there each day on bus)

The 7 hours battery life is perfect for me and its a pretty powerful machine to be able to lug around with me.

Obviously Since I model in max I will be using bootcamp for windows and for gaming, although I dont play many heavy games like crysis etc even though I have seen some videos proving there is playability in games like crysis.

From you users of the pro yourself and from long time mac users and even convertees from the windows to osx do you guys think this is a good idea for me?

Cheers for your time!

2. Joruus macrumors member

If things didn't change the Battery Life under Windows will never see seven hours, you are forced to use the 9600gt. Which also means the MBP will get quite hot after some Time of normal use, YMMV.

3. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I understand the battery life isnt as great in windows than in OSX. But it cant be to bad can it? I used to run on a acer laptop which lasted about 2 hours ... and went through 2 new batteries in the space of 18 months and the 2nd battery even now only lasts about 20 mins if that.

I probably wouldnt model in windows while on the bus so more than likely id be at a desk near a power source. But I probably would use osx more especialy for next year at uni as I will be doing allot of texturing work in photoshop and also music creation.

4. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian