Have I made the right decision?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shenfrey, Sep 15, 2012.

1. shenfrey macrumors 68000

So I just purchased a Macbook pro 13" i5 over a MBA 13" (same price). My reasons for doing so is I like the idea of having alot more space and I also prefer the glass screen and the aesthetic design (black bezel etc..)

The only tasks I will be performing on my MBP is college work (business studies) internet browsing (lots of it) and the occasional 'social' activities such as sharing photos or listening to some music. I understand the MBA is alot lighter then the MBP and is alot faster thanks to the SSD, but is it fast enough and light enough for me to replace it? I am by no means unhappy with my purchase, this is the best laptop I have ever owned and one of the best pieces of equipments I have ever owned. Though right now, looking back on it, I can't help but feel a little bit of buyers remorse over MAYBE choosing the wrong product.

Any advice would go a long way guys, thanks : )

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

For your work load, MBA would have been enough.
    But there is no need for you to return it and get a MBA.
    Your MBP can do more task than what you are going to do.

If you want it to go faster, buy a SSD on your own.
    If the space is an issue but you still want it to run it faster, get a optibay.

3. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

throw an ssd in there and youll be golden for your needs. unless you find the 13" MBP to not be portable enough for you, then the power and upgradeability of the MBP wins hands down. you can also get an optibay to replace your optical drive with your old hard drive for more space

4. shenfrey thread starter macrumors 68000

If I was to throw in an SSD, would that replace my hard-drive?

5. afinch1992 macrumors 6502

afinch1992

yes, unless you do the optibay option and replace your optical drive with the hard drive that you just took out to get more storage. A 512gb ssd is about $350-$400 and falling. It would be nice to have one, but you dont even really need it. with the optibay you could do a smaller boot drive with your applications and more essentials stuff with your music and photos going on to your original hdd. you could wait a few months and get one when theyre cheaper too. again, its not a necessity tho.

there are several threads about the difference between ssd and hdd, its just up to you to decide what configuration is best for you.

i still think you made the right choice

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You said yourself you like the idea of more space and the design, so of course you made the right decision if you prefer it over the MBA. Just because it is lighter does not mean you should be using it over what you have. You could always put a SSD in your MBP, too. It's more expandable.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sounds like you made the right choice.