Have I missed a trick here?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wfielder84246, Mar 7, 2009.

1. wfielder84246 macrumors member

I keep reading how people can't enter DFU mode on the new itunes or whatever when jailbreaking. However is it really necessary? Whenever I restore I just press alt restore and select my custom firmware and it works. I managed to get 2.2.1 doing this. Am I missing something fundamental?? Thanks in advance!

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Nothing to do with iTunes. It's Mac 10.5.6... The actual operating system? :rolleyes:

3. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

4. TheNightPhoenix macrumors 6502

I've always wondered why you need DFU and a normal restore is not recommended. I cant get either to work "error 6001"

5. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

6. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

DFU solves some problems with screwed-up phones that can't restore normally.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It's a bug in the latest USB driver and only affects some computers. The way you've phrased the statement implies that Apple is not allowing DFU, which is incorrect; it's just a bug.

8. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

Well you didn't make that very clear. Infact, you made it sound like it was a problem with iTunes.

You can either change some files, or use a powered USB hub.

9. wfielder84246 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, I wasn't asking how can I can enter DFU mode, more why is it nescessary and why is it such a problem to people as everytime I restore with a custom firmware I just click alt and restore and chose my custom firmware and bish bash bosh done.

10. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

You're not performing a complete restore. A DFU restore flashes more things than just the system partition.