Have iMac and Macbook with OSX Leopard but lost original disks

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ellinopedo182, Nov 20, 2008.

1. ellinopedo182 macrumors newbie

I have both a newer iMac (4 months old) and a 2.4ghz less than a year old MacBook, but I lost my original disks. My question is, would I be able to get a replacement disk from Apple? I am the original owner of both computers and bought them from Apple store. I remember i used to have an older macbook that was out of warranty and they would not help me over the phone unless i paid like $70 or something. I was really upset, but got them to send out a new macbook because of some issue halfway through my warranty and that actually increases my warranty by another year.

I also just installed vista on my macbook but do not have the essential drivers - right click, sound, bluetooth. Is their driver support for these drivers other than using the original disk provided by Apple with the Mac?

Thank You

2. sOwL macrumors 6502

sOwL

Im not sure about this but since the restore DVDs (the ones that came with your macs when you purchased them) are model specific, and are meant to be used only for the macs you bought and not universal, i dont think there would be a problem for them to give you a replacement. Again, i dont really know.

Im confused. Unless im terribly mistaken, Windows does not need any drivers for having right clicks enabled. For the rest, i dont think apple can help you, since i dont think they are developing driver software for windows. I could be also mistaken on that though. Anyway, you can find third party drivers for those things, one friend of mine had a macbook pro and his problem was the bluetooth, but he later told me that he found some third party drivers and that it worked fine. Good luck

3. south8212 macrumors 6502

yes call apple and they will send you replacements

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

To expand on that a bit, when you call tell them you need to get "fulfillment disks" which is what they call System Restore disks. You will need to have the serial numbers of any machine you want disks for on hand as they use that to make sure the disks you get are the correct replacements for the ones that shipped with the particular Mac in question.

There will be a moderate charge for the replacements- a two disk set I recently ordered was $32 shipped, and they arrived in about 4 or 5 days via US Mail.

5. ellinopedo182 thread starter macrumors newbie

thats not bad. i wonder why the person i talked to was being so mean. i asked him that i would rather just restore it myself but would need to get the original 'fulfillment' disks but he insisted on me paying $70 to troubleshoot my computer over the phone. This makes me feel a lot better knowing that its that easy to get replacements. I stopped calling Apple from that day.

6. TooSixy macrumors newbie

If you enable your PM, I can send you a PM with info that can help you with your original Leopard discs. Enable PM under User CP link at the top of the page.