Have iOS4 on my 3GS, but cannot multitask?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MightyEarthworM, Jul 14, 2010.

1. MightyEarthworM macrumors newbie

Hi there

I may be missing something very basic here, but myself and two mates have just upgraded to iOS4. I am able to create folders, but for some reason I cannot multitask at all, and my friends cameras now work much faster than mine, which has stayed at the speed it always was. The upgrade to version 4.0 has only given me the ability to create folders, and absolutely nothing else.

I must have missed something simple here, so apologise in advance for my ignorance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

so what happens when you double click?:confused:

3. MightyEarthworM thread starter macrumors newbie

Again, pardon my ignorance, but what should I be double clicking? The two friends I mentioned both tried to get it working but neither could figure out why mine was different...? Appreciate your quick response.

4. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

If you double press the home button on an iPhone 3GS or iPhone 4 running OS 4.0, it will bring up a little application switcher at the bottom of the screen.

Do you see a wallpaper behind your icons, or is it just black?

5. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

when you double click the home button, what happens:confused:

6. MightyEarthworM thread starter macrumors newbie

It goes to favourites?? And yes, it's just a black background...

7. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

You said you do have iPhone 3Gs right? Not iPhone 3G? If so, you might want to restore your iPhone again. That is so weird that you can create folders and not multitask.

8. MightyEarthworM thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a white iPhone 16GB 3GS. When I go to Settings>General>About it says I am running Version 4.0 (8A293).

I have no backgrounds, no multitasking, no speedy camera snap, though I DO have the ability to create folders. Either I am very very stupid, or something is not quite right here...

9. zachcheatham macrumors regular

zachcheatham

If the background is black, and you didn't change it to a black picture, then chances are, that you have a 3G and not a 3GS.

The 3G cannot multitask or change the wallpaper behind the icons.

Another way to tell if it is a 3G or 3GS is that the words at the bottom of the back of the iPhone 3GS are a shiny silver and not grey.

10. triptyx macrumors member

triptyx

When you say favourites, are you sure that's not the multitasking display at the bottom you're seeing after double clicking home?

Check the Background under "settings -> wallpaper". If you have two side by side images there, that's where you can set the desktop wallpaper.