Have IP Address, no internet connectivity on old MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by guppy34, Oct 14, 2014.

1. guppy34, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

guppy34 macrumors newbie

guppy34

Only starting a new thread as the many others with similar issues have been resolved. I've read many of the previous threads and tried the solutions suggested to no avail.

Issue: My (very old) MBP can connect to my home wifi network and obtains an ip address, however, I cannot get to any web page(s). Issue started a few months ago that when away from home, I was unable to connect to public wifi, but at home, all worked fine. After staying at a friend's place and being unable to hook up to their wifi/internet, I came home to find that I could no longer connect from home either. I am about to purchase a new MBP and need to ensure all is up to date on the old machine before proceeding. By the way, all other devices in the house connect just fine via same router.

I have tried the following:
    Resetting the modem and router
    Ethernet cable with Airport both off and on (get ip address, no internet connection)
    Pinging the router (I get a response)
    Pinging a public IP address (no response - "No route to host"
    Changed DNS server from auto configured router address to "8.8.8.8" (from another forum), same result. As the router did not restore it's ip address under the DNS, I have manually replaced it.

I am using DHCP

I suspect my battery is about shot...this is the old MBP with user replaceable battery. I'm on my third, but did receive a warning that it needed service. I have not yet replaced the battery, however, after giving it a full charge, I am no longer getting the message that the battery needs servicing.

HW: MBP4,1 (circa 2006), Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM
    Running Snow Leopard
    Running Intego Mac Security Suite
    Have Parallels with Windows XP on the partition, however, have stopped using this as it is no longer supported

Please help so I can go get my new one!

Thanks,
    gup

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Not sure about 10.6, as none of my computer still run it. Any chance you could upgrade to 10.9? Maybe the drivers aren't compatible with the newer routers/modems. It may have stopped working at home due to an OTA update to your modem, as ISPs can do that on their own.

3. guppy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

guppy34

Thanks for the reply, Freyqq. The research I did when I finally loaded 10.6.3 indicated my computer would not handle Mavericks...so, no, had not considered upgrading, especially when this will become a house use machine. That is, I intent to buy a new MBP and once this old one is updated, I intend to move all important stuff to the new machine.

Also, no changes to modem or router from time it worked and when it didn't.

4. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

You could try changing the wireless channel on the router, booting off your 10.6 DVD and running disk permissions on the Macintosh hd using disk utility.

Else set it as a static IP address on your lan, your router should have an ip table with the range of addresses so stick it outside those, and with the gateway and DNS set as the same IP address as the router.

5. guppy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

guppy34

Thanks, will try the static IP.

An interesting development...didn't think to try this before as the Windows side doesn't have any support or protection anymore, but I just booted XP and guess what, IE on the Windows side works just fine...now I'm really confused!

6. Gav Mack, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

I still have clients out there running XP for legacy app support, though I totally and utterly disable Internet access!
    If it works on XP then you don't have a faulty airport card. Try the permissions fix off the SL DVD, changing the wifi channel on the router or consider upgrading to 10.7 with newer drivers. If intego has a firewall disable it completely.

7. guppy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

guppy34

Will do and will let you know how it works out. And, I completely agree with disabling internet access from XP...I haven't started it in months, but needed some data from last year so booted it up. Imagine my surprise when it started loading updates!

Anyway, found my Snow Leopard disk and will try in a bit. Thanks again!

8. guppy34 thread starter macrumors newbie

guppy34

Well, found out that the issue was with my Intego Mac Security suite, not the Mac itself. No specific fix offered by Intego other than uninstall and reinstall the SW. Did that and am back on line. Thanks for all the suggestions!:)