All iPads Have iPad 2 and mini. Which one to upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by silverblack, Oct 23, 2013.

1. silverblack, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I have an iPad 2 and a mini. I couldn't decide which one to upgrade first; i.e., getting an Air or mini Retina.

Reasons to upgrade to the mini retina:
    - my mini goes to work with me everywhere while the iPad 2 stays home. So I use the mini more often
    - cheaper upgrade (mini retina is $100 less than the iPad Air)
    - easier to sell a mini than an iPad 2 (when people are selling iPad 3 and 4)
    - my iPad 2 is jailbroken (which can be useful to keep), mini is not

Reasons to get the iPad Air:
    - the low resolution is really showing on the larger screen, not so much on the mini
    - my iPad 2 is much older, I bought it shortly after it was first introduced
    - the spec upgrade is much greater from iPad 2 to Air (compared to mini -> mini retina)
    - iPad Air will be available before the mini retina

Is anyone in the same situation?

2. AppleRobert macrumors 603

I have a Mini. I see no reason for me personally to get a second one even with retina and better specs. I rather get an Air so I would have a large one for home and use my current Mini for transit.

3. Meister Suspended

Meister

I agree. No reason for a new ipad mini. Only bought mine 6 months ago.
    iPad 2 and iPad Air is a huge difference.

4. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

While the new mini will be faster and look better than the original mini, it won't actually do more. The iPad Air actually does more than the iPad 2, as well as being faster and looking better.

5. silverblack thread starter macrumors 68030

silverblack

Are you referring to Siri and AirDrop?

6. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Yes and I believe that the camera support isn't as good either.

7. tann macrumors 68000

Whichever you upgrade i reckon you'll end up liking the new one so much you'll barely use the second one you're left with (because of much nicer screen, speed, features etc).

So I'd upgrade whichever one you use most.

8. mrxak macrumors 68000

Drifting through space in a broken escape pod
    While I'm personally torn between the two models, and have no iPads at all, yet, I'm leaning towards the Air for my first one, just on the basis that it's considerably thinner and lighter and everything is more wonderful than the previous model. The mini, while also awesome, got (slightly) thicker and heavier this time around, and I'm expecting it will get thinner and lighter next year. So I'm thinking odd years are better for the Air, even years are better for the mini, and then upgrade accordingly unless something happens to make one particularly better some year (as the Air got considerably lighter and thinner this year).

You have a one year old mini, and a much older "Air". Upgrade your Air line first, then upgrade the mini line after that.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Seriously. If the mini is primary, get the new mini. The only caveat is if the new air might replace both.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This. I currently have an iPad 3 and a mini, but my plan is to get the Air and go back to just having one iPad. A mini is still more portable than the Air, but I think for me, there is a good chance that the Air is portable enough that I will no longer need a mini.