Have iPhone 4, activate new number without contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JPIndustrie, May 2, 2011.

1. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

Hey all. Im switching jobs and I may be able to keep my AT&T iPhone 4. Wondering if I can simply walk into an AT&T store and open a new acct/number without contract, pay the regular price for service, get a new SIM and continue to use the phone? Thanks in advance.

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I think they would be happy to take your money for that but you lose out on the subsidy part where the contract helps you pay for a new phone.

If you dont want a contract check into the new go phone smart phone prepaid plans, they might not realize it but you can have iphone or any other smartphone on the prepay smartphone plans now, it's what I'm doing.

3. JPIndustrie thread starter macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I may be using a lot of WWAN data so the $25/500 MB prepaid plan may not cut it. Could I simply walk into the store and start another number, pay activation fee and get normal plans without contract?

4. dickdaney macrumors regular

Yes you can walk in a sign up without a contract. You're only required to sign a 2 year agreement if you buy a phone for a subsidized price. Make sure anything you sign at the store says nothing about a 2 year agreement!

5. kryten3000, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011

kryten3000 macrumors regular

kryten3000

me too

Funny just noticed this post, I just did what the OP is proposing. It worked and as it was previously stated they were happy to have my money. So I sit here with a beautiful iPhone 4 off-contract and have month-to-month service that I can cancel anytime. The other nice thing is that they are offering me $250.00 credit toward any new phone I might buy I the future (on 2 yr contract of course) not that I would do that.

ps. Got a really good deal on the phone too, paid less than 25% than full retail off contract from some guy on craigslist who wanted the white iPhone real bad.