Have iPhone 4 - Moving to Europe

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by salute11, Oct 17, 2011.

1. salute11 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an iPhone 4, running iOS 5, with about a year left on my contract with AT&T. I'm moving to Vienna, Austria in about 8 months for at least 2 years. Are there any ways for me to be able to unlock my phone to be able to use local carriers?

I've looked online about jailbreaking, but I've seen various things that say that my firmware (04.11.08) won't work for jailbreaking. I don't know much about that - any help?

Thanks!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You are out of luck. Your iPhone cannot be unlocked via a jailbreak/unlock solution and will not be unlocked by AT&T. You will need to buy an unlocked iPhone.

3. salute11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re

Dang. OK. Well do you think there will be eventually be a way to jailbreak/unlock it, once the hackers figure it out?

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You are talking about 2 different things here.

Jailbreak = Sure. Currently, there is tethered jailbreak available for your iphone which has OS5, baseband 04.11

Unlock = Not sure and no one know. For Iphone 4, the only software unlock available at this moment is the one with 01.59. any baseband higher than this on Iphone 4 can't be done now.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

No unlocks have been released for more than one year. You should assume its not going to happen. Sell your phone and buy and unlocked 4S from Apple directly.

6. salute11 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it. Thanks! Wow, I was under the impression it would be relatively simple. Now I know better.