Have late '11 15" MBP, upgrade advice sought

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tdhurst, Jan 28, 2015.

1. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Boss has a late 2011, 15" MBP with a quad-core i7.

It's mainly used for typical business stuff, with the occasional short video, but nothing that I would consider high-end.

I'm trying to convince him that a new SSD and eight gigs of ram is enough of an upgrade over a new, low-end 13" MBP.

Any advice here? Seems a no-brainer to me, but I'm curious as to your opinions.

And no, the retina screen on a new MBP is not enough to convince me that this 15" is worth replacing.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. rapicell macrumors regular

The 2011 15 and 17-inch MBPs will eventually fail due to the graphic card issues, so honestly upgrading to a newer MBP is only wise at this point. Sure, if the chip isn't used too intensely it'll probably last a bit longer, but it'll fail one way or another.

3. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

yeah tell your awesome boss to upgrade the 13" or 15" retina, he deserves it. Plus its excellent to have but its not really powerful for gaming, get 40 fps most (ik boss won't play). But its still nice to have considering that windows doesn't have stores everywhere to fix your laptop, and thats why apple is amazing.:cool:

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Radeongate debacle is already reason enough to get rid of that 2011 brick.

Get a 15" rMBP, baseline variant.

5. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular