Have Late 2013 - upgrading, 8GB vs 16GB RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Logan, Jun 10, 2017.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Currently have the Late 2013 13" MBP (2.4Ghz i5, 16GB RAM, and 256GB SSD). I love it, it's my second MBP and very happy. However, I do like to stay current with technology and I feel the most recently released MBP has sufficient updates to warrant the upgrade. I want to try the touch bar, I'd love having touch ID on a laptop, etc.

My needs are relatively basic and non-professional: primarily web browsing, music streaming within iTunes, Microsoft Office applications, iMessages, etc. but I do like to do them concurrently and I really like speed/zero lag. I don't do professional video/photo editing of any kind, or use many non-stock applications.

Is 16GB overkill for my needs? When I bought my first MBP it was on a student LOC so I didn't care about cost, but now I don't want to pay for 16GB if not necessary.

My primary concern: I don't like lag of any kind, I like speed while doing tasks, and multitasking.

2. maxsquared macrumors regular

For what you do 16GB is overkill, but most importantly what you already have is already beyond what you need.

If you want to test out touch bar, go to a near by Apple Store or nearby computer shops and find one, and see how useless it is, I have a touch bar 15 inch, and never really used it and would prefer a normal function key.

For the Touch ID part, you would better save some money by purchasing a Apple Watch and Apple Watch unlock is pretty neat as well, in fact, I've hardly used the Touch ID at all for unlocking.