Have MacBook Air users required a Superdrive (details below)?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by omarjk, Jun 2, 2008.

1. omarjk macrumors regular

Hi,

I would like to know if MacBook Air users who have never purchased an external optical drive have experienced any problems with installations etc and how they have set about overcoming such issues or performing installations in the first place.

Thanks.

2. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

I never bought it and haven't needed it yet. Most of the software I use is downloadable.

That may change with Microsoft Office, but I have an iMac that I can mount the disk in, so it may not be too huge of an issue.

3. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks piloterror.

I have always just used a superdrive myself and am finding this information out for a third-party. What does mounting the disk-image involve? Can it be done between a MacBook Air and any other Apple laptop- I assume the answer is yes but would like to be sure, and can it be done between the Air and a Windows desktop/laptop?

Thanks.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

It can be done with any Windows or Mac computer that is wifi enabled (I believe). The discs that come with the MacBook Air should include a program that will allow you to use the computer's optical drive as a remote disc drive.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1777?viewlocale=en_US

5. omarjk thread starter macrumors regular

6. Irreversibel macrumors newbie

Hi. I bought the external superdrive and the 10/100-USB-Ethernet adapter. I never used any of these since I got the Macbook Air (mine arrived pretty early, exactly the day when they delievered pre-orders in germany).