have macbook innards cleaned at genius bar?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DukeOliver, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DukeOliver macrumors member

So my macbook unibody is 3 years old now. My applecare expired a month back. Nowadays, it gets hot and the fans whir much sooner than they have in the past.

I've removed the bottom plate and got all the dust out that I could, but there are definitely some places I can't reach unless some of the components are unhooked, which in the realm of laptops I am not comfortable doing myself.

Is it possible to have my macbook disassembled and dusted at the genius bar, or is that not a common practice?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Buy a can of compressed air that has a little straw to help you get to the hard-to-reach places. Even if the Genius Bar did it, they'd charge you Apple prices for something that can be done for $5 and 10 minutes.

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Do what the previous poster said. I did this a few months ago with my macbook which is around the same age as yours and there was quite a lot of dust in there. Afterwards I noticed a significant decrease in the normal temperature of my mac (~ 5-10 F) which helps performance as well as keeps your lap a little cooler.

A couple things to be aware of:
    - try not to get the fans spinning too much with the air, it could damage them
    - make sure you don't tilt the can too far, once you tilt a can of compressed air past ~45 degrees it can start to spray super-cooled liquid which can seriously damage the internal components
    - use short bursts of air because long sprays can get extremely cold as well and cause damage

this is a cheap and easy way to get the inside of your mac rid of dust, and I would recommend it as long as some care is involved