have macbook innards cleaned at genius bar?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DukeOliver, Dec 9, 2011.

1. DukeOliver macrumors member

Sep 18, 2007
    So my macbook unibody is 3 years old now. My applecare expired a month back. Nowadays, it gets hot and the fans whir much sooner than they have in the past.

I've removed the bottom plate and got all the dust out that I could, but there are definitely some places I can't reach unless some of the components are unhooked, which in the realm of laptops I am not comfortable doing myself.

Is it possible to have my macbook disassembled and dusted at the genius bar, or is that not a common practice?
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Buy a can of compressed air that has a little straw to help you get to the hard-to-reach places. Even if the Genius Bar did it, they'd charge you Apple prices for something that can be done for $5 and 10 minutes.
  3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

May 11, 2009
    Do what the previous poster said. I did this a few months ago with my macbook which is around the same age as yours and there was quite a lot of dust in there. Afterwards I noticed a significant decrease in the normal temperature of my mac (~ 5-10 F) which helps performance as well as keeps your lap a little cooler.

A couple things to be aware of:
    - try not to get the fans spinning too much with the air, it could damage them
    - make sure you don't tilt the can too far, once you tilt a can of compressed air past ~45 degrees it can start to spray super-cooled liquid which can seriously damage the internal components
    - use short bursts of air because long sprays can get extremely cold as well and cause damage

this is a cheap and easy way to get the inside of your mac rid of dust, and I would recommend it as long as some care is involved