Have MacBook... MacBook Pro or iMac next?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KielderWolf, Sep 26, 2009.

1. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Hey guys, title says it all really.

I've had a MacBook (last gen BlackBook) for just over a year now, and she's fantastic, takes everything I throw at her for university; word crunching, audio and video editing (I'm doing a TV & Radio degree) and the like.

However, over the summer the university finally got round to refitting like they promised two years back and everything is HD now video-wise at least. Whilst I know the MacBook would be able to edit HD video, it'd be mind-bogglingly slow and so I'm looking for a new machine.

I've been weighing it up and I've narrowed it down to the 24" iMac, or the high-end 15" MacBook Pro, or the 17" MacBook Pro.

This is where I need your guys help. I'm not sure which to get. I mean if I get an iMac and spec her up, I'm paying the same as a 17" MacBook Pro to roughly the same specs. And the MBP would be portable. But if I got the iMac, I could still use the MacBook for wandering around. But, again, what if I needed to do editing on the move?

So what is your advice? Get an iMac and be happy with the MacBook for pottering around, or go all in and buy a MacBook Pro? Do you MBP17 owners see many more benefits of the 17" over the 15" model?

Thanks in advance, Wolf ∑:•p

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

MacBook Pro. Preferably the 17". At the desk? Put it on a Rain mStand with a Keyboard. Gives you the option of portability when you need it.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...wait for the iMac refresh to see what will be the new offerings...

If you don't like any of them, you'd still get an iMac with more power for less than a MBP... also the iMac's have a 3.5" HDD so they will be faster than a MBP HDD (even with the same rotational speed)...

You have a fairly modern laptop for portability when you need it, how much "on the go" video editing will you "really" do?...

4. KielderWolf thread starter macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Last semester I used my MacBook for about three hours of editing on the campus, and another two or so at home. I usually do more on campus because I work better knowing there isn't an Xbox to distract me.

I would do work in the campus dedicated rooms (full of Mac Pro's) but I checked and this semester already has the first month booked full.

5. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the higher end MBP will be good for you, especially with openCL.:)

6. zedsdead macrumors 68040

If you need to edit on the go, then I suggest upgrading to a Macbook Pro 15". If you feel 13" is enough, go with that then since it is more portable.

If you really don't plan to edit outside of your dorm, then get the iMac.

As for OpenCL - all new Macs support it and nothing right now is taking advantage of it. Don't worry about it in regards to your decision because both the iMac and Macbook Pro can take advantage of the technology.

7. KielderWolf thread starter macrumors regular

KielderWolf

Thanks everybody for your suggestions.

I visited an AAR store today ... well yesterday (this insomnia is beginning to become a problem with telling days apart, heh) and had a go on each machine I was thinking of and I have to say I am impressed with the 17" MBP. The screen in absolutely stunning, and I mean really, I don't think I've seen such a vibrant screen on a laptop before. I had a go with the 15" MBP but I don't know, when I picked it up and held it against the 17", it just seemed... off balance somehow. Something wasn't quite right. The 13" MBP doesn't really appeal, I think if I'm going to spend twice as much on a machine as I did for my MacBook I'd like it to be bigger. Plus the power of a discrete graphics chip towards HD encoding over a sole integrated card is what I really need; otherwise I'd keep on using my MacBook anyway!

I'm saving up from this weekend onwards and should be able to afford the configuration I want in a few months, perfectly in time for it to be a lovely Christmas gift to myself. I'm planning on selling my MacBook to my housemate who's Toshiba recently suffered a coffee related incident... he sneezed into his mug and the majority of it's contents found itself in the innards of the machine. :rolleyes:

One final question to you guys up here in the Pro forums before I descend back to my own; I know you can get Final Cut shortcuts printed on silicone covers for the keyboard, but has any company made replacement keycaps themselves so that you can see them using the keyboard backlight?

Thank you so much for your help so far guys, hope to join you up here in the Pro forums soon! Wolf ∑:•p