Have MBA-iPad II+older Mini worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hellishness, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Okay, so I have a perfect condition (even keyboard) MBA thats about 5 months old. I really like the new iPads, for some reason much more than the older ones. I want to get one, but I don't like the idea of having such a nice iPad and an amazing MBA that I'll never use (no I won't give it to you :D).

So what I thought was-I'd sell/trade my MBA for a mac mini and a display, and get maybe 7-800 out of it (mini worth about 400 bucks, my mba worth around 1200-it's freaking PERFECT), with which I'd buy a top of the line iPad and about break even. How does this sound to you guys (what would you do)?

And since a thread like this is worthless without it--I use my MBA like 95% for browsing the web and it's by far overkill for what I do with it. I type some stuff every once in a while (maybe like a thousand words of document typing a week on average :eek:). I'd also like to use my new desktop for ripping DVDs which I cannot do on my MBA (I've tried everything, and it's not really important enough to me to trouble shoot it, I don't have a superdrive).

I feel that the iPad has matured now and I like it much more than the original (I can't quite put my finger on it but I think it's that the rounded edges feel a million times better to hold) and I'd like to have one now.

(I know, I know..cool story huh? I just want your thoughts guys :))

2. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Come on guys it's been an hour. I'll summarize my question:

Is an iPad and a desktop the perfect combination for someone who mainly browses the web? I just want a little bit of reassurance :eek:

3. duk macrumors regular

I had a MBA 11 and sold it to buy the ipad 2, I also have a pro 15" hooked up to a 24" most of the time. so I would have to say from my experience, desktop and ipad is a nice combo. If you can get your price, I'm sure you'll be happy with the combo.
    judging by your post, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.
    Good luck.

4. Hellishness thread starter macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Thank you so much...I think I'm gonna do it. My only hope is that my friend at apple gets 15% off friends and family asap on iPad 2s :D

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

One could argue there is not that much more "maturity" between the iPad 1 and 2 that the situation that existed wham you bought the Air 5 months ago is the same now. It is more likely you've matured.

The iPad has always been the perfect complement for most who own desktops and need portability for web surfing, email, and content consumption. For all task it is not a laptop replacement, but as you've seen, you likely never needed a laptop in the first place.

6. miamijim macrumors 6502

I am running a 20" iMac desktop with 2TB of EXT HD with an EXT 24" monitor.

With an iPad 1 32GB WiFI as my mobile device.

In all this just about suits my purpose, of course I would love to upgrade my desktop, my storage and my iPad but do not have the cash to do that.

If you do not need the MBA as a workstation then yes your set up will work.