Have MBP, Have Leopard...Still Using Tiger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hukuma, Nov 10, 2007.

1. hukuma macrumors newbie

Hola Folks:
    See the title...anyone else in the same boat? Bought Leopard the day it came out...haven't mustered up the guts to install it. Tiger is working for me, and I'm not too excited (nor can I afford) to be Mac-less for any period of time.

Who else owns Leopard, but has it on the shelf for now?

Hukuma

2. Osprey macrumors 6502

I have Leopard as well, but haven't installed it yet. I don't want to tempt the fates.:D

3. Tadros86 macrumors 6502

Tadros86

I have Leopard installed, I am formating and putting Tiger back, I'd really like to have Leopard but, I am having an issue with my MBPs sleep mode. When I close the laptop lid it goes to sleep for 30 seconds and comes right out of sleep mode with the lid still closed. It's really annoying and Apple Tech support and Apple Care were no help. Tiger was working perfectly, I just wish I had the cool new features of Leopard. Hopefully I can install Leopard after they patch it up, assuming they are going to fix the problem.

4. Osprey macrumors 6502

I have read about some of the issues with Leopard, that is one of the reasons I decided to wait before installing. Hopefully we will see some updates soon that addresses them. Until then, I think I'll stick with tried and true.

5. kylep6190 macrumors member

I would just wait for the new patch, it will be coming out in the next couple weeks

6. thegrandmaster macrumors regular

thegrandmaster

I upgraded to Leopard on thursday and I'm not looking back. I've been really impressed. I was worried about problems with Leopard and my new MBP, but I haven't come across any so far.

I was worried about upgrading what with people saying that their MBP backlights were playing up after the upgrade, but I haven't suffered that or any of the other issues that people have.

I chose the upgrade option, took about 40 minutes and is now running perfectly. I understand you wanting to wait for the first batch of Leopard fixes, but remember you're not 'definitely' going to come across the problems that others have had if you yourself upgrade.

7. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

I had this problem with my MBP since it was new & with Tiger... I eventually did the hack to turn off the "wake on lid open" behavior rather than send it in for repair - I think it is a hardware issue. I never associated the problem with software.

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

I am in the same boat. Lots of apps need to be refreshed to run on Leopard and Leopard needs to be as good as bugfree before I upgrade.

9. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I installed leopard on the same day it was released and its all been good.

10. gotzero macrumors 68040

I usually wait awhile to update anything, but I put it on one of my computers almost immediately, and I felt that a lot of little interface things I had gripes about were fixed, so I went ahead and upgraded one by one. The only problem I had was user-error, where I half-connected the mini fan. Other than that, the only issues I have had have been incompatibility with a couple of programs. I am assuming all of that will be fixed shortly.

11. sal macrumors 6502

don't be scared. It's okay to install leopard. But before you do, you might want to do a quick search on your most important apps and make sure they work.

On the other hand, if things are working good on tiger and you don't want any downtime, then stick with tiger until you have the time.

12. doboy macrumors 68000

Yesterday I got my Leopard upgrade and decided to install it since I have no patience. I cloned my Tiger HDD to an ext HDD and upgraded my SR MB Pro HDD. The process went smoothly. However, the startup time seems little sluggish (~1 min from cold boot, but everything else is zippy afterwards) so I partitioned my int HDD on the fly (love this feature) and installed a fresh copy of Leopard on 2nd partition. The fresh copy boots faster (like Tiger) so I may use the migration tool to transfer the files and clone back the Tiger from ext HDD to the first partition so that I can have both Tiger and Leopard in case Leopard fails. If HDD is big enough, I think this is the best way to play with the new OS while keeping the stability of Tiger until kinks are worked out for the Leopard. The Leopard feels little faster than Tiger in most aspects after booting and the CPU temp has gone down ~5C compared to Tiger. I say install it on a second partition and have fun :p

13. hellokittytiara macrumors newbie

I installed Leopard on my SR MPB but now I've gone back to Tiger because the keyboard keeps becoming unresponsive. :(

14. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

IS THAT BECAUSE OF LEOPARD?!?!?!?!?!
    I was using my MBP at work one day and using CS3 photo shop, and all of a sudden my keyboard stopped working. My track pad worked though.
    I was like WTF! Is my MBP screwed up???
    Then It started working again, and I was like, meh, if my MBP is faulty, its still under warranty.

Man that is F'ed up!!!
    I hope they get it working back to normal.

15. hellokittytiara macrumors newbie

Yep, I'm positive it's a Leopard problem. I've had my MBP since September and it worked perfectly up until I installed Leopard, and I haven't had a single keyboard freeze since I went back to Tiger.

16. NeoXY macrumors newbie

You know what? I was on the same boat, but tonight I went up to Leopard and my god. Every design decision, every new feature. So simple, so justified. So beautiful (apart from that stupid dock)

I LOVE LEOPARD! Even with the minor bugs, I'm loving this experience.

17. rtcruz1 macrumors member

LOVE and HATE Leopard

I've upgraded to Leopard on my MBP 17"/2.4GHz and I have mixed feelings about it.

Things I love now that I have Leopard:
    1. Quick look - I love being able to view my files without having to open them.
    2. New iChat - I love being able to SMS, multiple account sign ins, and being able to share or control a desktop
    3. Spaces - When it works.. I LOVE it
    4. Spotlight seems a little more responsive and quick.

Things I HATE now that I have Leopard:
    1. Sluggish or non-smooth animations/transitions with some features. Specifically: The dock (magnification, genie effect, and stacks), Spaces, . It's very choppy or sluggish, where as Tiger was very smooth. When you have a fairly new Apple computer (mine is only a couple months old, and was the most expensive configuration for a Macbook Pro), you expect that Leopard will run smoothly and quickly on it. That is NOT the case, and it's very disappointing.

2. I HATE HATE HATE the stacks feature. They removed a very useful feature of Tiger, which was to be able to drag a folder into the dock, and then be able to navigate to any part of that folder, from the dock. With stacks, you CANNOT view all the items in a folder, and if there is a sub-folder (like many apps that install themselves in their own folder within the applications folder), you can't get to the contents of that sub-folder without having to open up a separate finder window. This was a HUGE step backwards in my opinion. They should have at least offered the ability to have this feature available.

3. Spaces is a great feature, but doesn't feel fully cooked. It's temperamental, and doesn't work sometimes. Sometimes I can't get to an App in a certain space.. and I have no idea why. Also, the expose feature of spaces does not run very smoothly.. it feels sluggish.

I love Leopard, but at the same time, I hate it. BUT I don't hate it enough, to go back to Tiger. I just hope a patch addresses these issues, and I hope it comes soon!

18. pogmothoin macrumors newbie

I brought it when released here, and it sat in the bag for a week before i thought that was wasting of money and installed it. Upgrade option used and 'touchwood' no issues at all apart from the odd 3rd party app not working 100% . go for it!!

19. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

I put leopard on my 2.16 c2d macbook pro a couple weeks ago.
    I had to install twice, with the second being an archive install because the first install led to the blue screen problem. But fortunately the archive install worked just as it's supposed to and I was up and running with no issues.
    Everything runs smooth for me, all animations, spaces, etc.and most apps start a lot faster. I need a new external before I start taking use of time machine yet.
    One thing that surprised me in a good way was the new front row, it runs way better than the old one and I like the new interface(appletv) better.

20. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

I've waited until leopard 10.5.1 I now feel okay about installing. I think you should feel just as confident. 10.5.2 will fix anything that .1 did not get but on the whole it'll be exciting to have a changed system

21. paul.b.davis macrumors 6502

paul.b.davis

To me it seems that a lot of the problems with Leopard are intermittent. I have it on a MBP 2.2 C2D w/ 2G of RAM and I have probably experienced 1% of the problems I have read about on this forum.

Granted some of these "problems" are people who do not like a perfectly functioning feature for one reason or another.

Spaces is smooth as butter for me, Quick Look I can't live without (I don't even ever open up QuickTime anymore), iChat is useable again (I had Adium on Tiger), and I personally never used the hierarchical dock folders in Tiger.

I think you should give it a shot, and if you are not satisfied with the current status of Leopard, then you should just switch back.

This may seem time consuming, but to me the possibility for benefit outweigh the time you would put into it.

22. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I have been using Leopard for a few weeks on my MBP, but I'm thinking of going back to Tiger. I have 3 main problems that are really bugging me, never had the problem in Tiger. And to me the new features Leopard adds aren't worth the extra headaches I'm facing - Display backlight issue, Memory Leak with Screen Capture, and Expose funkyness.

I think I'm going back to Tiger where things just work, until they fix the problems in Leopard.