Have money...no plan--13" MBP 2011 refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JPFFCA, Jun 18, 2012.

1. JPFFCA macrumors newbie

I need a computer replacement...and have been saving so long that I can basically buy whatever. I am not in love with the 15" MBPr, but I am the kind of guy who likes to stay "current" with new design changes, etc.--in other words if this is the way apple is heading I would rather follow now than feel "outdated" by all the new designs in 2-3 years. I bought a Powerbook G4 (way back when) the year before the design change and I'm still sour about it--lol. My question is if I do not go "all out" and buy the MBPr (which I have no real need for)...would it make more sense to buy a refurbished 13" MBP 2011 (some are as cheap as $799 in education store) or just pay the relatively inexpensive $1200 for the new 13"? I understand that USB 3.0 and the IVY Bridge are nice updates, but for what I need it for (a computer to maybe just get by with for awhile) do you see a big difference? If they had the mbpr in the 13" I would have already purchased...

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted

To me, the real issue boils down to what needs the computer will serve. The size of the screen is important, because this is what you interact with. I have a 27" iMac (love it!), and a 13" MBP. On a laptop, I just don't like 15" and up. The 13" is perfect for me.

CPU. How much crunching do you really do? Don't get caught up in numbers, etc. if you need raw horse power then spring for the best. If not, any current processor on the 2012 MBP/MBA should last you 3 to 5 years.

Storage. How much internal do you need. This point alone is the deal breaker for me and the MBA and new rMBP. they are not user replaceable and cost a small fortune through Apple. 3rd party SSDs are available and coming down in price every year. A MBP would allow you to upgrade the hard drive by yourself and save some scrap at the same time.

Optical drive. This one is tougher, because we know Apple is not going to have them much longer. I think 2 years and DVD drives are gone from Apple's line up.

You really just need to decide what you'll be using it for and make the appropriate decision.

For me, I got the base line MBP and spent a small amount on an SSD I can swap on my own. I think in the next 2 years SSD prices will make the HHD obsolete as well.

Good luck!

3. ayres macrumors regular

$800 for a 13 mbp refurb in the education store is a GREAT deal. i'm typing this on my 2011 13 mbp, and for daily, regular needs, it's a fantastic machine. apple decided to change very little in the 13 mbp update, and so there is not much you would miss.

another option would be to wait a little longer and get a 2012 13 mbp refurb in the apple store. the refurb price combined with the education discount would be really, really nice.

the one thing we might see the 13-inch get in the coming year or so is an upgrade to a better screen resolution - not necessarily retina, but the 15-inch base resolution. i'm amazed they did not offer that as a bto upgrade.

i was recently using my sister's 13 mba, and afterward, i felt my screen was a little claustrophobic.

4. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you're already considering the Retina MBP with no optical drive, why not also look at the 13" Air? It has a standard SSD, an 8GB RAM option, USB 3, and a higher screen res than the 13" MBP.

5. JPFFCA thread starter macrumors newbie