Have my MacBook Pro replace my iMac and Windows PC? (Heat issue)PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M. Malone, Jun 30, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

Hello,

I recently got a Penryn MacBook Pro with the 2.6 ghz and 512 video.

I own an iMac where I upload all my pics, and itunes music.

and a Windows machine to play games only.

Since I got the MBP, I've been spoiling it. I don't do much other than web browsing, Adium, and MS Office. And in this case it gets a bit hot if I have too many web pages open, especially the part above the F keys.

Now I was thinking, it would be ideal if I can take all my files from the iMac and place them on my MBP, and install windows on my MBP for the games. I only play command and conquer, and waiting for Red Alert 3.

Can the MBP and the video card handle all of this or will they melt? :D

2. nephilim7 macrumors regular

I can't game with the mbp (latest rev 2.6 17") on my lap even with a u-suit hardshell/leather case on the bottom, it's summer though I imagine I could in winter. I don't play those games so I can't comment on the specifics but the mbp is built to run hot, it can handle it, my 'junk' on the other hand doesn't like being roasted.

3. M. Malone thread starter macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

thanks. The heat worries me that eventually the machine will break.

Any comments from others?

4. nephilim7 macrumors regular

sorry, that wasn't my intention. I dare you to stick your hand in a running *insert any brand* computer here =D

it's built to run hot.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I have a newer dual core 400 dollar compaq laptop that runs wonderfully...and my 4 year old powerbook which I still use more than any computer I've ever owned.

They run equally hot. It's pretty insane, but that said, I don't think heat has contributed to either machine slowing down or failing.

Make sure you have applecare, run the hell out of the machine and if it takes a **** let them replace it.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Crank the fans up with SMCFancontrol and you'll be fine. These computers are built to run hot for long periods of time. Put it on a desk and hook it up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse and you've got a gaming pc and an iMac!