Have New 150GB Raptor, is it worth using in 2009 Mac Pro 2.66

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mjones185, Oct 2, 2010.

1. mjones185 macrumors regular

Hello All,

My 74 GB Raptor died in an old PC, WD replaced with 150GB Raptor. I have a factory 2009 Mac Pro 2.66 Quad with 12GBs OWC RAM. Is it worth replacing the factory HD and install the new Raptor? I use the Mac for photo editing with Adobe CS5 and Aperture. I would Love a SSD but it's a lot of money for the moment. I have all the drive bays filled with 2TB drives other than the 750GB factory that has Snow Leopard installed and some VS of Windoze for work use.

Second question, I've had Snow Leopard installed since its release and have noticed some slowdowns, especially after running "CleanmyMac" software for the first time, is it worth formatting and reinstalling? Even if I don't use the Raptor.

Thanks

Mike

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

If you're not using one of your optical drive bays, you could buy an adapter and stick the Raptor in there. Use that for your boot and apps drive and keep the rest for data.

If you decide to transfer your setup to a boot drive + data array, it could be a good opportunity to reinstall Snow Leopard and speed your system up.

3. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the comments.

My Mac Pro is setup like this:

Bay1 750GB Boot Drive, OS, Apps, Some data.
    Bay2 2TB Drive for iTunes Music
    Bay3 2TB Drive for iTunes Vids
    Bay4 2TB Drive for Photos
    Bay5 2TB Drive for Vids

I'm considering the Raptor for the speed but don't know if its really enough of a boot. Plus my old 74GB Raptor was very noisy. The new 150GB Raptor is very quiet as I currently put it in the PC but was thinking of swapping drives.

The other thing I've got to consider is apple care if something goes wrong but I could save the original for that.

Mike

4. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

so what is in the optical bay ? since their are only 4 sleds in the mac pros :)

5. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

I meant to say optical bay (5), Its a 2TB for vids.

The other optical bay of course is the DVD drive.

Mike

6. The General macrumors 601

Worth losing all that storage space for minimal read/write speed gain? I'd say no.

7. Honumaui macrumors 6502a

ahhh
    kinda thought one of them :) yeah not sure if you say some data on the boot ? might not be worth it ?

only way I would say is to go external on some things and make it more dedicated to one thing ? meaning put the faster boot in maybe get a eSATA card and put some kinda faster scratch on for PS use ?

or partition off the first part of your itunes disc and video disc say at 100 gigs then put those together for a 200 gig raid 0 setup on the outer for PS scratch would make PS faster ? that of course depends on how much you are hitting PS first ?

but to to me at least doing just a small gain for the boot would not be worth it :)

8. cutterman macrumors regular

What are the specs on the 750GB drive? If it is a low-end performance drive then you will notice the improvement in boot time and application loading. As Honumaui said, you could then use the 750gb drive as external backup.